What's new
What's new

Wiring a brake resistor to a Bridgeport 8 position 2 speed switch

cuhlik

Plastic
I have a conventional Bridgeport knee mill with an 8-position, 2 speed switch and a 3 phase 2 hp motor.
The switch positions (clockwise from the top) are
OFF, Fwd low, OFF, Fwd high, OFF, Rev high, OFF, Rev low, OFF

Depending on the speed and pulley configuration, the mill can take up to ~8 seconds to coast down to a stop when switched from Fwd high to OFF. I can speed this up by flipping through from Fwd high, to OFF, to Fwd low, to OFF, to Rev low, to OFF. There's a bit of a bump when quick reversing like that, and with some practice I can get pretty close to stopped before going to the final OFF position, but there's still a second or two of coast down time and I don't always get it right. Plus, it just seems like a hokey way to operate the machine.

What I'd like is for the OFF positions, or maybe just the bottom OFF position, to engage a dynamic braking resistor (or something similar) that would cause the motor to dump its kinetic energy into the resistor stopping quickly and automatically. I imagine something like this could stop the motor almost as quickly as switching it into reverse.

Can this work with an AC induction motor? I think maybe it's more complicated than just shorting some windings. I suspect you might need to apply a rotating field to the stator to develop reverse torque. Maybe that's why I only hear of this being done with a VFD. I don't like VFD as a solution as it is much more complicated than my current switch, and VFDs always seem to take seconds to spin up the motor. I don't want to trade a quick slow-down for a slow spin-up. I like how fast my motor reaches full speed when I switch it to Fwd high.

Has anyone seen a simple, single speed or two speed, 3-phase motor with dynamic braking?

Any pointers on how to do this?

Thanks,

Chris

My switch looks vaguely like this one
s-l1600.jpg

On thing not suggested in that previous thread but worth looking at is a belt on one of the less used pulleys that drives some sort of brake.

If you do not have a VFD on that induction motor, the brake resistor will do no good.

What WILL work on an induction motor for a fast stop is DC injection, but it can be hard on the motor if done very much.

Bridgeport should have a manual brake. Fix it

consider reversing the reverse positions, so you are hitting reverse low first.

baffles me why all the stops, no reason IMO for the stops between same direction speeds.

PErsonally I would probably eliminate the stops at the outside, one stop only in the center

full CCW to CW: FWD HI, FWD LO, STOP ,REV LO, REV HI

That way you are always moving the same from reverse or forward.

Back