What's new
What's new

Wiring this Italian motor Delta or Y for VFD help

Cue

Plastic
I want to use a small 3 phase geared motor and want to get the most torque out of it, it is geared 25:1 and is a Italian motor. I am not sure if I should wire it Delta or Y up to my VFD? I will be running it at 230 volts single phase into the VFD of course and I am in the US so it is 60hz if that makes any difference? Enclosed are pictures of the wiring and the motor plate.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• motor1.jpg
    motor1.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 177
  • motor2.jpg
    motor2.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 181
Not sure I understand? The plate shows it can be wired delta or Y for 230 volts?

Follow the 60 hz data.

Data plate is confusing as it puts the 50 Hz delta and Y together on the same line with only / between them.

Still a standard 230 V delta, 400 V Y at 50 Hz machine.

There are motors that can run same voltage in both delta and Y but they are serious beasts and need the control gear to match. Probably obsolete these days.

Clive

Last edited:
Also, wiring it in delta or Y, or high or low voltage, won't make any difference in the torque. Both setups give the same horsepower and the same RPM, so torque will be the same.

So Delta is what I should wire it as?
Yes. What that nameplate says is that the position of the Delta / Wye symbols are indicative of the respective position of the voltage ratings. So at 50Hz Delta (first symbol position) is 230V (first voltage listing), Wye (second symbol position) is 400V (second voltage listing).

Because you have 240V available, you want to program your drive to reach 50Hz at 230V if you want the most torque from your motor. If you take it to 60Hz at 230V, you will only get about 70% torque from it. That's why it says 276V at 60Hz; that makes the correct ratio of voltage and frequency. The motor is what it is.

Yes. What that nameplate says is that the position of the Delta / Wye symbols are indicative of the respective position of the voltage ratings. So at 50Hz Delta (first symbol position) is 230V (first voltage listing), Wye (second symbol position) is 400V (second voltage listing).

Because you have 240V available, you want to program your drive to reach 50Hz at 230V if you want the most torque from your motor. If you take it to 60Hz at 230V, you will only get about 70% torque from it. That's why it says 276V at 60Hz; that makes the correct ratio of voltage and frequency. The motor is what it is.

Thanks for the help!

Back