What's new
What's new

Wiring line reactor in parallel?

I am getting ready to convert my Fadal to single phase. The vfd is 10 hp and I need a line reactor rated for 20 hp. Can two 10 hp line reactors be wired in parallel to obtain the same result? Question being asked because there are several of the 10 hp units at work that are 0 dollars and a 20 hp from automation direct is 175.. thanks Matt

I am getting ready to convert my Fadal to single phase. The vfd is 10 hp and I need a line reactor rated for 20 hp. Can two 10 hp line reactors be wired in parallel to obtain the same result? Question being asked because there are several of the 10 hp units at work that are 0 dollars and a 20 hp from automation direct is 175.. thanks Matt

"Several" being at least three, best-case it JFW, neither runs hot, worst-case you may have to try different ones for the best balanced pairing.

Can you post the entire data label or maker & SKU as can be looked-up?

i have 2 of the automation direct LR-2010 at work. the LR-2020 is the Properly sized unit for what i need.

The physics sez paralleled inductance is OK, and the math is simple.

Worked "as expected" for paralleling some German-made (read pretty consistent specs, one to the next) Lenze 6A chokes (DC use..) until a Hammond 20A 20 mH one arrived.

So it seems worth a try for the money involved...

I don't THINK you are at risk of any sort of destructive Oscillation as could damage the VFD. How about putting a separate fuse in series with each - just in case a serious imbalance turns-up, even as a transient event? Or could that put the VFD at greater risk?

Tempting to JF buy what you need, trade or peddle what you need no longer.

Waaay cheaper than what I have had to invest to keep rude-bugger DC Drives from trashing MY environment.

Those are nasty enough at BOTH sides to warrant full-house drive-isolation transformer line-side, as well as ripple-filter (choke), load-motor side.

Back