What's new
What's new

Wiring motor to VFD question

MaineShop

Plastic
Hi. Attached a couple of pictures to help answer a couple of my wiring questions. This will be 3ph coming out of a VFD to a 3ph .5hp Siemens' regenerative blower. I'm not going to wire the VFD directly to the motor wiring block on the blower. I'll wire a female 3ph receptacle to the VFD, so it can be plugged into the blower (existing male) and moved around as needed.

1: Why does this unit have dual cables into the wiring block? One is the larger 4-wire connections to the T ports, and the other is a 2-wire connected to P1 & P2. What is the purpose of the P1 & P2 wire?

2: InsideCover.jpgplate.jpgHow does one read that factory wiring diagram. Makes no sense to me.

The P1 & P2 wires appear to be connected to a thermal overload switch. This can be wired into the control circuitry of your VFD to shut the motor down in case of overheating. This is good to have if the motor may be run at slow speeds where the cooling fan is ineffective.

The diagram looks straight forward. I assume you are using the lower of the two voltages the motor is rated for, therefor, use the low voltage diagram. Connect the wires together as shown by the diagram. Connect the VFD to L1, L2 and L3. The triangular drawing is a representation of the wingdings in the motor but does not need to be referenced if you just use the low voltage connection diagram. The diagram is showing which wires to together, ie four groups each with three wires (including the VFD connection).

Great... Would not have known that Bill. Yes, 240v lower. I didn't see anything listed L1, L2, L3 inside the wiring block, just T connections. Does L1 always equal T1? I do intend to run the motor at slower speeds and was concerned about overheating it. That would be pretty great if it was setup that way for me. Usually don't get that lucky.

As a side note, and completely unrelated, I used to ride my mountain bike and hunt grouse in Auburn when I lived in CA in the 90s. Visit the state often. I don't care what anybody says, California is an amazing place. The only people that bash it have never been there before... or maybe have lived there too long :) Greatest state in the Union if you ask me.

OK.. I see the diagram makes sense now. Duh... My 4-wire cord is already connected to L1, L2, L3. Thanks!

I should have more clearly stated that the L1, L2, and L3 are the wires from the output of the VFD, which you have figured out.

I love the geography and weather of the state. And that is why I am here. I don't like the over reaching government and nanny-ism. And I do not like the cost of living here. And obviously the cost of living is a result of the state and local governments making it so difficult to do any thing. If I could find another location with the physical characteristics I would be gone.

Thanks... But there is no other location similar... The cost of living I think is also a result of the attractiveness of the state. Making things difficult to do stuff sometimes has a silver lining in that it conserves things, whatever they may be. I think there's too many damn idiots out there to let them run roughshod. JMO though. Anyway I dig gold country, and if I wasn't living in the great state of Maine, I'd be living next to you.

Back