What's new
What's new

Wiring single phase 220 motor to barrel switch

CptTdawg

Plastic
New to asking a question but have been reading PM post for a long time. I've been studying this problem for a couple of weeks, PM, Youtube, Google etc. I'm stuck. I know just the amount of information on wiring to hurt myself.

My background is a physician by day and a land/timber owner full time. I'm an old SeaBee, so I have extensive history and ability to fix anything with nothing in the shortest amount of time. PM threads have helped me immensely before. . I have an extensive shop and just added a lathe and mill. I have a "69" Kirloskar 10x36 lathe that I just inherited. When I they dropped it off, all the wiring from the motor to the barrel switch was removed as well as power supply to the switch. I'm running two 110 legs for 220v and a ground from my single gang. My uncle whom I received the lathe from can't help, (blind in one eye and can't see much out of the other). That is why he sent his machines to me. (I have been using them to help him and myself for years).

The Motor is a 3/4hp single phase 220v with three black wires. That's it, three black wires. All wires have the same Ohm's, so I can't distinguish a starter winding. Non of the wires are grounded. My barrel switch has the diagramed schematic.

IMG_0564.jpg

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

This post is better suited for the VFD/electrical section, but I will start.

Would help to post a picture of the motor nameplate.

With a single phase motor you need to reverse the start winding polarity. If the wires are not brought out, then you need to go inside the motor to access the start winding. Shooting blind without the motor information.

The 3 wires confuse me if one is not a ground. Perhaps someone else will have better perspective on this. To me it sounds like its a 3 phase motor.............

If it is single phase I would expect there to be a bulge/protrusion in the case somewhere for the starter winding capacitor. If not it is likely to be 3 phase.

Motor tag.jpg

Thank you for your answer. Here is the plate which was hard to see. I had to just stick the phone under and take a bunch of pictures in hopes of getting the motor plate. I don't see a capacitor and I was told it was a single phase. BUT..... I see a Y on the plate which means 3 phase?

Seems like uncle didn't tell them to ship the RPC with the machine.
How about the mill, it needs the same thing?

Or it may have one built into the controls, but not likely.
Motor tag calls out a 1HP 220V 3Φ Y motor.

SAF Ω

Seems like uncle didn't tell them to ship the RPC with the machine.
How about the mill, it needs the same thing?

Or it may have one built into the controls, but not likely.
Motor tag calls out a 1HP 220V 3Φ Y motor.

SAF Ω

Yep, Blind and obvious memory problems, God Bless Him. Went back to the shop, (new owners let me in). Three phase to the building. My options: Three phase to my shop. Shop phase converter, or buying two phase converters. If they aren't rotary, I loose 1/3 horse power I hear. Rotary are very expensive. Cheaper to put new 1 phase motors. T

Confucius says always look for the bulge. Lesson learned the hard and expensive way. But I love learning and won't make that mistake again. T

Rotary are cheap if done oneself. Maybe not a good idea for you?

Nothing wrong with rotary converters - I personally am biased towards VFDs. Used to be a drives field service engineer so that is where I gravitate to.......... My shop is all VFD.

Back