What's new
What's new

wiring single phase electric motor to UK AC mains

paylaf

Plastic
doc2.jpg

I have a single phase single volt (UK 220-240) 1Hp electric motor with two capacitors, start and run. As photographed. This is to run my Milling machine. I need to connect the motor, via appropriate switch gear, to mains AC. I appreciate the earth wire connects to the "seventh" terminal at the side. But I have no idea where the Live and Neutral wires need to connect.

I appreciate that the metal strips (as photographed, shown between U1/W2 and V1/U2) manage the rotation, and presently are connected for forward/clockwise rotation, and can be changed to U1/V1 and W2/U2 for reverse/counter-clockwise rotation (which I will probably use). But for either scenario (CW or CCW), to which of the terminals should the Live and Neutral AC wires be connected?

If someone could offer a clear answer please - in terms of U1 etc as per photograph - as I've scoured the internet and have fried my brain looking at too many conflicting options (mostly involving 3phase despite specific search criteria).

Hi,
Makes no difference which is live and which is neutral, it's AC so the current reverses 50 times a second anyway...

So, one of them to U1, the other to U2, move the links to get the motor spinning the spindle in the right direction if required, Robert is one's Parent's sibling.

Should you need to be able to reverse the motor (tapping?) you'll need a switch that will reverse the live and neutral to V1 and W2 to change direction and at the same time cutting power to both and either U1 or U2 for the stop position. If you need to do this, pick a drum switch and post pics?

Dave H. (the other one)

Back