What's new
What's new

Would this be a good upgrade motor??

Mram10

Cast Iron
I am an electronic cripple and was wondering if this three phase motor would be a good upgrade from my 1.5 horsepower single phase motor on my eisen lathe. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys

Attachments

• D73E3EDC-8325-4384-ADE1-2377D12D7A59.jpg
    D73E3EDC-8325-4384-ADE1-2377D12D7A59.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 116
The biggest limitation you will find is the limited size of the motor area, I assume their is their Eissen 1236 lathe where the motor mounts behind the headstock. The current motor looks to be a 145 frame, doesn't look like an OEM motor which is metric. I would recommend the Marathon E-467 which is a 2 Hp inverter rated TENV type motor, it has a very small size and has been used as a replacement for 1236/1340 sized lathes of this model. Most TEFC motors will probably be too big because of the length of the fan housing. You can get the motor dimensions online and verify fitment. You would use a 2 Hp VFD, you will need an external braking resistor.

Great info, thx. I can definitely make it fit, just want to know if it would be an upgrade. Can’t tell from the stamp.

Not exactly what I would consider an industrial or heavy duty motor, no real specifications or online information, and the picture does not show the whole motor. Going to 3 phase will give you an improvement in surface finish and going up to 2Hp will be better. If you go through all the effort and cost, it may be worthwhile to invest in a better motor, but yes the StairMaster 2Hp would be an improvement. The Marathon E-467 or the BlackMax Y551 I feel are a better upgrade.

No HP rating that I could see, but the FLA rating at 220/230V makes it a 1-1/2HP motor, so I don't see an upgrade issue. If you don't have 3 phase available already, you will need a VFD to operate this and that may be an "upgrade" in terms of having the speed control, but if that motor was never designed to be run from an inverter drive, it may have long run issues.

Got the motor new for free so I’m trying to find a use for it. I’ll leave the lathe alone for now. Thanks for the great advice guys.

Marathon E467 2Hp motor motor plate, it has a FLA of 6.0A. I have installed quite a few of these, Y551 and Baldor IDNM series Inverter/Vector motors on the 1340 lathes, the Baldor IDNM3587 2 Hp motor has a FLA of 5.4A. I typically run the Y551/IDNM motors to 160-180% overload for up to 1 minute and use a frequency range of 20-120Hz which requires a motor pulley diameter reduction. The speed stability is typically +/- 1 RPM, stock motors are usually +/- 5 RPM. You want an enclosed motor frame to prevent chips from getting into the motor. You can pick up these motors surplus at significant savings, so worth watching for an inverter rated motor at some of the auction sites/industrial recyclers.
E467 Motor.jpg
Baldor IDNM3587T.jpg

Back