What's new
What's new

#5 turret lathe

David@NOV

Plastic
We have an old #5 and its developed a problem that we cant figure out. The chuck barley turns, its slow moving at a turtles pace. Nothing we try will speed it up. Looking for suggestions on trouble shooting.

Follow the power from the motor, where does it go? Is the motor coming up to speed? I imagine it probably has a clutch and its slipping, or something to that order.

The spindle is run via two pairs of clutch packs, concentric discs very much like those in an automatic transmission. It's entirely possible those clutches have worn to the point they no longer engage well.

Other options (keeping in mind I'm no expert and have only owned one of these things for a couple of months) I wonder of the brake is somehow stuck "on"? The brake is hydraulic, and engaged via headstock oil pressure on a piston assembly at the back. I have not opened or worked on mine, but I wonder if by some combination of wear or abuse, the brake has been engaged, maybe partway, and won't release?

If that's the case, and it's a long shot, I admit, I have no real idea how to resolve the situation.

More info would help. Does the chuck run the same speed no matter what gear it's in? Does it turn so slowly you can stop it by taking a cut?

Doc.

Follow the power from the motor, where does it go? Is the motor coming up to speed? I imagine it probably has a clutch and its slipping, or something to that order.

-Another option: Again, not even close to any kind of expert, but if the machine has a 2-speed motor (and I have no idea how many of them do) is it possible one of the magnetic starters has gone bad, or otherwise lost an electrical connection, so the motor is only running on partial power?

Just spitballin', but hopefully something to point you guys in the right direction.

Doc.

Thanks gentlemen. We will resume this trouble-shooting next week when our maintenance supervisor returns. We'll be sure to have him check out your suggestions. I appreciate your help.

They made #5 coneheads way back. Sort of be nice to have a clue of age. Sales literature here goes back nearly ninety years

Serial would help - usually stamped on face of head stock

Hey John? You told me my No.2 dated to 1939- does the book (or whatever resource you're using) break it down any further (day, month?) or add any additional information (who it was shipped to, etc.?)

#490309, Lot 45, if so.

Thanks.

Doc.

All it (serial book) has is serials and dates - similar to Hendey stuff here. As can be seen, it does not go very far back.

Hendey Serials.jpg

Title is Serial Number Reference Book for Metalworking Machinery

There are various editions

Hey John? You told me my No.2 dated to 1939- does the book (or whatever resource you're using) break it down any further (day, month?) or add any additional information (who it was shipped to, etc.?)

#490309, Lot 45, if so.

Thanks.

Doc.

David, Sir
Not to discount anyone else's suggestions but it sure sounds like an issue with the preselector not selecting. Simply put the clutch can't engage if it's not in gear. Your maintenance staff may have to contact someone in the 'know' like Bill at small tools in Cleveland. It's not a major feat to pull the top if need be. Also, as other have pointed out Lot# and Serial# would be nice to have to help in the diagnosis. Hope this helps and keep us posted.
Stay safe
Calvin B
Ps if it happened suddenly I'd take a real hard look at the preselector as something as simple as a broken spring or a simple out of adjustment could be your issue..

Back