What's new
What's new

Age of W&S #4 (Lot# 232, SN:1301734

Porter2019

Plastic
Hello,
I have recently acquired an M-1420 and I am in the process of cleaning/setting up/leveling etc. I was wondering if anyone here in this forum would have information regarding when or where this lathe may have been built? Thanks in advance.

FWIW, I am trying to build a history on this machine to hand down this information and keep it alive. The last bit I have on it is from an Oklahoma company that refurbished it in 1975. From there it was shipped to a company in PA near Pittsburg. Then in made it into my hands (with the help of a good friend!).

Again, thanks for any help!

W&S #4 Cross Slide Dial.jpg

Hello,
If I attached the photo correctly you can see the cross slide dial on my W&s #4 I was posting on looking for the age. The dial goes from zero to 333 to make a revolution. This seems odd to me. Does anyone have the story behind why this would be? Odd screw that was made to work? Leftover from a metric conversion? Thanks in advance for any help!

Its either a 6 pitch and the dial is reading diameter, or its a 3 pitch and the dial is reading on a side

Reciprocal of 6 is .166666666 and reciprocal of 3 is .333333333

Hello,
If I attached the photo correctly you can see the cross slide dial on my W&s #4 I was posting on looking for the age. The dial goes from zero to 333 to make a revolution. This seems odd to me. Does anyone have the story behind why this would be? Odd screw that was made to work? Leftover from a metric conversion? Thanks in advance for any help!

I am a just getting into machining as a hobby/learning experience. So, if I am following you, I think I have a 3 pitch because when I go to take off say, 0.100" on a pass/cut on my dial, the part diameter is 0.200 less. Also, in my head, 333 divided by 0.333333333 is basically 999 or evenly divisible.

I am not following the 6 pitch (using the reciprocal of 0.1666666)and how that works out/interacts with the 333 thousandths on the dial. I understand that the pitch is related to the distance traveled per rotation and that if my dial was reading the diameter (not just the side) either the dial marks would have to double in number per revolution or the pitch would be double. Apologies in advance if what I am typing doesn't make sense. I don't know enough to figure out how to ask a clear question.
I understand why the pitch links to the dial readings per revolution but again, it seems strange to me why 333 is there. Was this standard? Math is math but using an odd, prime number has me scratching my head from an operational standpoint.
Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate the help. I am going to try and educate myself in the Machinery Handbook or if there is somewhere else more appropriate to look, please let me know.

I can say it again in a different way:D

One turn of a .166666 lead or 6 pitch screw will move a cutting tool enough to remove .333" from a diameter

I am not following the 6 pitch (using the reciprocal of 0.1666666)and how that works out/interacts with the 333 thousandths on the

Back