What's new
What's new

Box tool question

calvin b

Hot Rolled
Hi YA'll,
Hey I'm running a little box tool on a #3 ( 1200 ) and my question is.. How do you keep the rolls from picking up chips and marring the part ? Any insight would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Stay safe
Calvin B

You can also try a different chipbreaker geometry, which may shoot your chips out of proximity to the work. What's the work material, radial or tangential box tool, and what sort of chipbreaker geometry are you currently using?

Hey Ya'll,
Thanks for the replies. Here's a few pics of my setup. I've tried flooding the tool alibi with cutting oil not a water based coolant. I've tried air blast, best so far is just running things dry. finish is acceptable ( functionally speaking ) for the part but I think it could be better. Also I think I need to adjust the rolls as they may be putting to much force on the part.
Material is 12L14 1/2 dia turned to .263 in one pass machine doesn't even know its there.. Tool is a unknown insert type, it does have a chip breaker ground on it but that really seems to compound the issue so I'm running it 'on the flat'. Part is just a blank so it can be polished in the second op but I'm trying to get away from that..
Stay safe
CalvinDSCF4181 (Medium).jpgDSCF4178 (Medium).jpgDSCF4176 (Medium).jpg

Some people have extended rolls that ride on the unturned diameter, ahead of the cutter by a millimeter or two. Can you do that?

I noticed leetle "sub-chips", and that might be the problem.

As box tools take such a huge "bite", the chip
(if run with no chipbreaker, and make a huge spiral)
the inside is much different length than the outside, hence the spiral.

Sometimes the material can hold it all together, other times not(think cast iron how it crumbles easily) and you have the little "entrails".

I would change the tool out to a piece of HSS, ground really sharp (you are machining free machining steel, so tool life is good) and no chipbreaker.

Look at older box tools with HSS bits, and you'll see the top
is angled back and down as well (not a flat top).

So what if you get a big long spiral ? If it all stays together,
you don't get little pieces under the rollers.

BTW When I suggested "Flood coolant" I mean using a piece
of copper or steel pipe to direct it right down in between
the rollers, pour it on so much you can't see the complete box
tool. A couple of my box tools came this was, firmly clamped
in place to keep the outlet aimed correctly.

The point is not so much lubricant, rather to flush the chips out fast, before one can get on a roller.

Rick Sir,
No can do, would interfere with rotation of the turret.
Beege Sir,
I will try that in the future as I believe that would 'cure the burr' that is currently being raised.
Digger Doug sir,
Yup, the stock crumbles like cast iron but is soft and sticky. I'm through that batch of 12L14 so I'm going to try the next lot and see if I can get a stringy chip instead of the crumbles. As for the insert, it's kinda of an experiment for me as I normally run hss as I find I can control the direction/chip far more easily than with an insert. As for flushing the chips away.. I'm with ya on that ! I did try an air blast and it worked to some degree. A lot years ago I ran a little 'electrocycle'W&S that had a tube that went trough the turret and blasted coolant through the gap in the rolls and straight on the cutter.. no chip problems there.. Gotta love shop mods by old geezers that ran the machines for only management knows how long..
Thank you all for your suggestions.
Stay safe
Calvin B

Back