What's new
What's new

Bronze machining on WSU-12

Pali

Aluminum
I have a Bronze part for machining with the OD 172mm, ID is 165mm and length is 17mm. My machine has minimum chuck pressure as 10 Bar. i plan to use an enveloping jaws concept for holding the part, will it hold the component without chrushing i'm not sure. I've never worked with bronze, will it take the standard coolant or any special stuff. The rings are cast, donno what grade.

Thanks in advance.

Pali

The WSU-12 was originally designed to be simple like the Ford 'Model T' to make it easier for production to ship with quick delivery. So the hydraulic actuator was the only one designed for the standard machine. If possible, if an air actuator/cylinder can be retrofitted to the machine, I think you will be able to grip the part with lower jaw force and pressure to avoid crushing the part. The machine runs 3000 RPM with a 12 inch chuck, so the high hydraulic pressure was intended to hold the part at the high speed.
Bill McNamara
Cleveland, Ohio

Bill,
Thank you for your valuable input. I mainly run this machine to machine the Main Spindles i make for Lathes and Milling machine. This bronze part belongs to a friend and he wants me to machine this part hence i was looking for a quick, simple & easy solution.

Will the enveloping jaws work without crushing the part.

thank you again

Pali
Bangalore, India

Back