What's new
What's new

Build info for my M-1200, please.

MwTech Inc

Titanium
Trying to find the date of manufacture for my M-1200. The lot number is 479 with serial # 2434070.
Where can I find the info to date the unit? The service manual that came with the unit is dated 1960. The unit was bought by GE in Va and they kept all the papers, books, service logs, etc, so I'm assuming this service book is the original?
Also, what was the size motor used in the M-1200?
I currently have a 10/5 two speed on 220 volt. Looking to find a 480 v motor. Was a 10/5 standard?
All the info I have doesn't state the HP.Thanks

Serial Number Reference Book For Metalworking Machinery puts 2434070 in the 1970 time frame. I would have supposed this was long after the M1200 went out of production, so it may be worthwhile to recheck serial on machine.

John

It just might be '70. Those green knobs indicate a late machine, and all the 1200s I've seen had 7.5/3.75 HP motors, the 10/5 might be a late change. I've heard different stories about late lever heads, that they were factory rebuilts, that they were made alongside square heads, etc - I'd like to know the truth for sure.

How can I find out for sure?
I was told at one time that W&S stamped the serial
on the lathe bed end when they rebuilt them, so you ended up with two numbers? Seems weird.
John, the old#3 was refurbished/painted by me. Everything was completly pulled apart, carriage, turret, all except the headstock as I could find absolutely no wear, dirt, nothing. The lathe is 480 from factory as was the motor, but the people I bought it from had the motor rewound down to 220. Bummer as I want to put a 480 back in, but, if 1200's came with 7.5/3.75 I might just keep my big motor.This lathe has the full hydraulic barstock feed also if that helps any.

More info.I have the order sheet sent from W&S to General Electric.
The W&S office was located on 5701 Carnegie Avenue.
The letter is informing GE that " your new W&S turret lathe will be shipped soon" Gave oil specs to use and said it was used in their Single spindle automatics as well.
No date ,was signed by L.P. Skeel service manager/Machine tool Div.

I figured by then the 1200 would be dead and gone since the M2200 is already in my 1959 tool catalog.

Have a number of brochures from the mid thirties - about the same thing less the fancier shifter (on some) and these oldies have threaded spindle noses :D

John

The "Serial Number Reference Book For Metalworking Machinery" is not very accurate. What I seen shown for Monarch serial numbers were not even close to the actual numbers and dates. I have compared them first hand. I would suppect the same is true for other makers.

John

I have a copy of W/S official date of manufacturing vs. serial numbers up to Sept. 1976. That serial number shows to be first or second quarter of 1972. I think the numbers were assigned when the carcass was set on the erection floor to build, the shipping date may be a few months later than that. I think if W/S rebuilt a machine they added an "R" at the end of the serial number.

John
Thanks for looking up my lathe.
I did verify the number stamped into the lathe bed.
Same, no "R", no other markings of any kind. So did W&S actually make these new in 1972?? Did they have
old castings left over and decided to use them up?
I mean it's all ok by me, actually happy that it is that new.

Back