What's new
What's new

Calibrated Dial for cross-slide on a W&S 4A???

saidnamedPOG

Plastic
We bought a Warner & Swasey #4A Model M-3550

There wasn't a calibrated cross-slide dial. There are no markings on it. We had a retired W&S #3A and thought that would work once we bored out the ID on it so it would fit on the shaft. BUT it wasn't making correct cuts. If you tried to make a .010 cut it would take almost .020. So that didn't work.

I found a dial for the machine which has a 3 threads per inch worm screw in it. This dial is $630!!! So after a little more calling around I spoke with a gentleman who said that the machine I have is SUPPOSED to have a (4) thread per inch worm screw.

I was wondering if anyone could verify what EXACTLY thread per inch screw our machine is SUPPOSED to have. And also, how difficult would it be to swap out the screw if we needed to.

Thanks a bunch!

So you wouldnt happen to know a machinist would you?

Ought to be able to calibrate/mark the dial you have.

If you think 600 is bad what would you charge?

It isn't necessary to ask such questions. Get a mag base DTI (with at least 1/2" travel), clamp it somewhere so it bears, with needle at zero, against cross slide. Turn your screw one turn after allowing for back lash. Your answer will be there on the DTI in thousandths of an inch

See - you can do your own VERIFYING

We bought a Warner & Swasey #4A Model M-3550

There wasn't a calibrated cross-slide dial. There are no markings on it. We had a retired W&S #3A and thought that would work once we bored out the ID on it so it would fit on the shaft. BUT it wasn't making correct cuts. If you tried to make a .010 cut it would take almost .020. So that didn't work.

I found a dial for the machine which has a 3 threads per inch worm screw in it. This dial is $630!!! So after a little more calling around I spoke with a gentleman who said that the machine I have is SUPPOSED to have a (4) thread per inch worm screw.

I was wondering if anyone could verify what EXACTLY thread per inch screw our machine is SUPPOSED to have. And also, how difficult would it be to swap out the screw if we needed to.

Thanks a bunch!

It isn't necessary to ask such questions. Get a mag base DTI (with at least 1/2" travel), clamp it somewhere so it bears, with needle at zero, against cross slide. Turn your screw one turn after allowing for back lash. Your answer will be there on the DTI in thousandths of an inch

See - you can do your own VERIFYING

yes that is probably what we are going to do. Just kind of amazing that we bought this machine without a working dial.

Since you already have a dial that fits, needing graduations, and I suspect that lathe is sitting in a well-equipped machine shop...

neme-s.org/images/PDF_Files/Making_Graduated_Collars1.pdf

Just kind of amazing that we bought this machine without a working dial.

The dial may have been changed out between payment and being loaded for delivery.

Did W&S make any metric versions? That might have something to do with the blank dial.

So you wouldnt happen to know a machinist would you?

Ought to be able to calibrate/mark the dial you have.

Walk him/us through it, why don't ya?! I guess I could go read a book and figure it out but sometimes it works better if the figuring is explained to you

Yes they made metric versions alright ran a few in Houston Tx that were brought back to the states from overseas. They usually had brass name plates or plates in a foreign language though, like fast or slow being Snell or Lansome a German version. It is a pain in the --- to use these the crossslide is all out of wack. You would have to replace screw and the brass nut internally and the dial. Pretty expensive deal on a 4A. Joe Forte could probably help you, he is in Houston. D&D machine.

Back