What's new
What's new

Dating yet another W&S

tfuquajr

Aluminum
OK y'all can have your fun with this one to.
I have an OLD OLD W&S my first lathe,I bought at the scrap yard I believe it was pre WW I it was a Navy lathe I think ?
I would like to know when it was built. And any info.that might be available about the Lathe.
I am posting a couple pics.
IMG_0454.jpgIMG_0455.jpgIMG_0456.jpg

Any guestimate to age on this one or do I need to get some more detailed pics ?
Thanks for looking at it johnoder

'26 is as far back as my collection goes, and they were building these concurrently with a six speed geared head. I fully expect these cone head jobs were built just about the same for years and years before 1926

Your serial is like forty thousand prior to 1920

Attachments

• WS cone 1926.jpg
    WS cone 1926.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 160
It seems that somewhere after I first acquired the lathe there was something on it somewhere that said something about US Navy and I recall a date of 1914 ? but that was before I had internet and I had no way of researching it easily. I will have to get it cleaned up again to see if I can find something on it.
Thanks for the info. I will let y'all know if I find something on it somewhere.

'26 is as far back as my collection goes, and they were building these concurrently with a six speed geared head. I fully expect these cone head jobs were built just about the same for years and years before 1926

Your serial is like forty thousand prior to 1920

Wow how many do you think they were building a year ? I am sure they ramped up production for WW I ?

Assuming they started with #1..... They sure kept busy. Hard to fathom how it all went wrong.

The reason the company is no more was due to some of the execs as they got greedy & put the company on the stock market. They made a lot of money but we were then purchased by Allied and they took all the money we had in the bank which was a bunch due to the lease program and then sold off the company divisions.

Allied held meetings with some of the employees of each div. and told them they needed a plan on how to increase business by 50% or the div. would be sold & they were. We were already successful. They just wanted our money in the bank!!!!

The only division still in business today to my knowledge is the Gradall div. in New Phil.,Ohio. The Gradall div. was purchased by a Gradall exec. It has since been sold to another construction equipment company and is still successful today.

The machine tool div. was sold to a Japanese company. Murata I believe.

The Textile div. was sold to Barber Colman and then two years later to Reed Chatwood a a new company which stayed in business for another 12 years before closing.

It was so sad to us employees.

Back