What's new
What's new

Has anyone worked with this model?

Cadillac STS

Aluminum
Can someone tell what year it was made? I got it when I answered an ad for "Metal Lathe" in the paper. Was hoping for a smaller workshop lathe but this was there for not much money. Has a set of collets and some other tooling with it. I've had it a couple years and use it in the pole barn for some turning projects. Have done a series of boring out maf casings for Chevy LSX engines. It is fit with a 220 single phase engine and has always run well.

If I get some interest in this thread I have a question about getting a better finish turning aluminum, speed/feed probably but want to know from someone who knows.

IMAG0099.jpg

IMAG0108.jpg

IMAG0106.jpg

IMAG0104.jpg

IMAG0103.jpg

IMAG0102.jpg

IMAG0101.jpg

IMAG0100.jpg

You would have to post a serial number to date it. This will be six or seven digit number and on something this old, very likely just six digits. The M-1100 is old, gets no mention in my 1959 Tools book. The big collar behind the chuck possibly means it is threaded spindle nose.

It does not look to far off from a #5 - I like it - Jess

Thanks. I'll set up my tripod and get some clear pics; too much tremor for me to not have blurry hand held pics these days.

I've been keeping some of the tooling in the oil pan below because it gets oily anyway and it helps preserve the tools. Nothing near any moving parts. Need to clean up those shavings.

Anyone know where the serial number is on that machine? I've looked all over and am not able to find one. May be in an area painted over and if I knew where it was I could go after it. I assume it must be on the main casting.

My cell phone takes better pictures than your cellphone :)

Sadly it was not a cellphone but a pretty decent camera. Here are new pics with a tripod and a 2 second timer so I can get my hands off the camera before it snaps the picture. I am surprised I am not able to just edit my first post with the new pics like I could on other forums using this same engine.

new5.jpg

new4.jpg

new1.jpg

new2.jpg

new8.jpg

new7.jpg

This looks like a place with a painted over plate of some kind. Is this where the serial number would be found?

new3.jpg

This looks like a place with a painted over plate of some kind. Is this where the serial number would be found?

new3.jpg

Indeed it is the place. Finally got around to close inspection and cleaned off the paint with some stripper.

With this info can anyone shed more light on the history of the Warner Swasey No. 4?

I ran across this thread accidentally finding my own pics while searching for other ones!

I finally got some information about this lathe from a vintage machinery web site. The site owner emailed me the information after I asked.

The first serial number means the machine was built around August 1928 and the second serial number means it was rebuilt by Swasey about April 1938.

Back