What's new
What's new

Help with serial number and opinions of possible purchase.

AbleGear

Plastic
I am looking for a turret lathe to replace our Gisholt #3. It was a great machine that fell victim to a devastating fire in our building a couple of weeks ago. It was a war production machine that never disappointed.
There is a Warner Swasey 3a up for auction next week reasonably close and I would love any info or opinions. Inspection is next Wednesday.

S/N 1126033 473667 is whats listed.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

3A is a giant saddle type (ram types are smaller machines). How does that match up to the Gisholt?

A similar Gisholt would be a 3L

1126033 is around 1950 while 473667 is about 1937 - so maybe a factory rebuild

3A spec sheet from 1934

3A Spec Sheet 1934.jpg

Thanks very much for the quick reply. I think its a bit big for us. I wouldn't mind the extra capacity but it's not going to spin up fast enough for most of our work.
It seems that the model 3 is pretty equal to the Gisholt 3. 3a to 3l like you said.
The search continues :(

Thanks very much for the quick reply. I think its a bit big for us. I wouldn't mind the extra capacity but it's not going to spin up fast enough for most of our work.
It seems that the model 3 is pretty equal to the Gisholt 3. 3a to 3l like you said.
The search continues :(
Location? Im in Florida. Have a number 3.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Thats cool. My machines were in Jersey earlier in their life. The produced stainless steel petcocks and handvalves.

It cost 875 bucks to ship my Bridgeport from Bridgeport, CT to my shop if you were interested in my dinosaur. Not sure if you mean the newer No. 3

It cost 875 bucks to ship my Bridgeport from Bridgeport, CT to my shop if you were interested in my dinosaur. Not sure if you mean the newer No. 3

I thought you had 80,000 parts to make with it ?????

Doug,

Thanks for the heads up. If they're in good shape I'd take the ride! How big of a difference in size and such between the 3-4-5?

I have no idea, but as many as I have looked at, not much size difference.

I've got a catalog around here somewhere, dimensions should be online.

I know this is an older thread, but I came across an old abandoned M-1420 today and am looking at possibly getting and restoring it.

Lot No. 212
Serial No. 1178550

Any thoughts on whether or not it might be worth the effort? It definitely needs a little TLC.

Hi everyone, I have a big Warner and Swasey SC-32 coming and I'm also trying to figure out what year it is, Serial 2574959. Does anyone know if Giddings and Lewis are still the people to contact for information like this, or if they ever were for the SC-32? Thanks!

I doubt you'll find any help at G&L. Your best bet might actually be Bardons & Oliver as they did retrofits and rebuilds of Warner Swasey machines.

Back