no-3 warner & swasey
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know if this is the place to post this? This my first time posting something.

I am thinking about buying a #3 warner & Swasey. I am going to go look at it and was wondering what arethe big things that I might need to look at to tell what kind of condition it is in. The bad thing is it is not under power.

thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

summerville,

I looked for three years to get a good #3. Don't just settle for some old lathe with a tarp on it in the corner of a shop. I bought one about a year ago that was still under power and I could run it through the speeds. Just don't jump wait until the right one comes up...gear

Post Thanks / Like

summerville:

If it is not loaded with tooling in good workable shape, and running fine, it is just scrap iron.

You also need to have a use in mind. These are definitely not handy dandy engine lathes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If the unit isn't running, it probably won't. I repair this... stuff...as a matter of fact for 33 years..To properly analyze, have it running, buy a service book on ebay, and go to adjustments section, and read the ram slide center requirements,,, this will tell you how to check wear...Good Luck!...Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Thanks

Thanks you for all of your comments, they were really helpful. I have always been interested in turret lathes. It is hard to let them go when the are so much cheeper that other lathes. I think that I will save my money for one just a little nicer that I can put through the paces. Thanks again for the help.