Number 3 turret lathe...help!
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good morning all,

I have a WS No. 3, M1200 lathe I'm trying to get up and running. It's up in the corner of our warehouse, and a previous owner has painted over the plate with all the tech specs. What I am looking for is the Amps, Volts, and HP. If anyone can help, that would be really great.

Also, if anyone would have an operation manual for this lathe (copy or original). It would be much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You are going to have to strip the paint from tne data plate for the voltage and current info. Nobody here can know if it was wired for 230 or 460 volts. Second choice is to look at the wiring on the spindle motor to see what how it is connected. The spindle motor will be the main load, if you can determine the horsepower you can swag the current and add a little for any other loads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks John,

With a little bit of hard work and the help of your advice, we were able to determine it to be 230 volts and 30 amps. We are still trying to determine horsepower, but we are getting there.
    Would you happen to know how I can get my hands on an operation manual?

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I worked mainly on W/S NC's so I don't have one. Maybe when Bill Gent checks in he will know where one is. W/S once printed a general book on how to run a turret lathe, I will look to see if I have a copy of that but it won't be specific to a #3.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I looked thru my stash of manuals and don't have one for a #3. They are rather simple though. You can most likely find one on E-Bay. I'm from the AC/AB generation of W/S.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Send me your mailing address. i have a mdl 1200 #3 and there is a copy of the manual in the file I will send to you. Should be all you need to run yours. Nice simple machine to run and very accurate. I sure love mine!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks tjs42! That would be very helpful. We are currently trying to get it operational and are having a heck of a time trying to remove the previous owners modifications to the machine. Anyway, here's the email: [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello,

I have someone with a W/S No. 3 turret lathe also. He mentioned that I should be able to find a chuck to work with it, instead of the collets so I could use it like any other lathe. Does anyone know what kind of chuck I can use on it and where to get one? I can't find any information. I have a service manual but it doesn't mention anything about the collets or a chuck.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, the #3 uses a chuck with an A-1-6 or A6 back. The chuck mounts directly to the tapered nose of the spindle with 6 1/2" cap screws through the face of the chuck(some use only 3). It does not need a back plate. They come up on ebay quite often and also at auction. I use my #3 as an engine lathe and it works great. The one downside is the rigid feed dial. To change it to one that is adjustabble dI did the following. Remove the nut from the end of the cross feed screw and pull off the handle and the graduated coller. then remove the half moon key in the shaft that holds the graduated dial in place. Drill and tap the graduated dial on the nose projection on it's front for a 10/42 set screw. Put the dial back on without the key, Put apiece or several of lead or brass into the drilled and tapped hole before you put the screw in(#8lead shot works great). this prevents scaring of the feed screw shaft and provides a psotive seat for the screw. You can now adjust the dial to any position you want when you start your cut. Put a live center in the tailstock and you are ready to go. Remember that you are taking .002 off the piece you are working with for each graduation shown on the dial. My machine will still get .oo1 between centers on a 12 inch piece. Not bad for a machine 53 years old! You don't need a $15000 Harding to remove metal and do accurate work, mine cost me $330 including tooling & a new 1" geometric die head with chasers. I think a #3 is one of the best buys on the marked for a lathe that will really do some heavy work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for the response. He wants $400 for this lathe. He just had the motor rebuilt. Now I just need to figure out how large of a chuck I want to get and how much I want to spend. I see new 8" 3 jaw chucks for $372 and 12" at $636 on ebay now. I manufacture speakers and don't turn very large parts, but it seems like I always find something too big to turn. I do have a cheapy 12x36 harbor freight unit that I have become quite good with. My biggest parts before wee 6" OD so it worked fine. Currently the biggest pieces I turn are 7-1/4" diameter and I can't fit that in the 6" chuck obviously. The parts are about 3/4" thick with a 2.5" diameter pole sticking out the middle that is 4" long. I bring the parts in from china rough because they can't hold tolerances on the pole. I need to go from a 2.5" to a 2.985" OD on the pole. I get +/- about .015 if I have them done in china and I can't work with that.

Again, thanks for the response. I'm going to wait and check ebay off and on for the week and see if a used A-6 chuck comes up. Otherwise I might just go and spend the $600 on the 12" or $372 on the 8" new one.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

JOHN, in my view a 10" is max on the #3 if you are going to run it at high speed. Anything bigger is down right scarey at high speeds. JIM, for some reason my personel messages have not gone through regarding the manual. Send me you usps mailing address to me at [email protected] and i will usps priority mail the hard copy of the manual I have to you. Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Tom,

If you are able to make another copy of the manual I'd be glad to pay you for it. My email is [email protected] if you want to email me directly.

I think 10" will be what I get then. I thought about the 8", but I may need to chuck up some 10" diameter pieces in the future. As far as what I'm doing with it, my goal is to turn down a 2" pole made from 1010 steel, very low carbon, to a 1.935" diameter. Do you think that is something I can do in a single pass with this machine with reasonable accuracy?

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tjs42,
    I work with Jim and just wanted to thank you for all the help and for the manual. We got it the other day and it has been a big help. Im running the 220 to it now so I hope to have it up and running in about a week. Thanks again for all the good info.

Cdsegrest

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

tjs42,

We cannot express how helpful you sending us that manual is going to be for us. Cdsegrest (above) is our machine shop guy, and has really been the main person in-charge of getting that WS lathe up and runninh, and has told me that the manual you sent was invaluable to our needs. Without it we would have probably spend excess hours and probabliy some workman's comp. trying to get it going. We owe you a big one!

J. @ BASSI

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I Have (2) #3 W&S & (1) #4 In my shop. & on jobs that are well suited for a turett lathe. We rival & sometimes even beat CNC time per part with them. I wouldn't be without one.

I have never owned a lathe the size of a #4 that will even come close to the sheer size & amount of chips that thing will remove in a days time. Literally talking a wheel barrow & more than one trip.....

I have several spare box turning tools & maybe others for a #3 if interested

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you haven't received a manual yet. Email me your address and I'll send you a copy of our manual. I think we have a service manual as well.

Tim.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just an update here. I did get the lathe and had to have some work done to it. The person who had it tried to retap the 440 3phase motor to run on 220 3phase and messed some things up. Also the control box had some issues. $274 later and the motor is set back to run on 440 and the control box is all in working order. I just bought an 8" 3jaw chuck for $372 on ebay so that should be here shortly. I should have the motor hooked back up as soon as I can pull my transformer out of another machine to step up from 220-440.

Now I need to find some tooling for this thing. All I really need is to turn, face, and bore some pieces. Threading may be nice also. I have never used a turret lathe before so I don't know if I'd need to use the turret or just use the regular tool holder. Anyone have tooling they want to part with?

John