What's new
What's new

Old Serviceman

Hey, Rich, don't we eastern types not get any mention? After all, the machine tool industry had its very beginnings out here on the East Coast, as a man of your intelligence, education and maturity is well aware! It was through a series of fortunate events that it made a gradual move westward to Ohio and Illinois, spread around in the great middle of our land, and lastly onto the west coast. Today's great leader in the industry sits in California and is known as Haas Automation. So, to be fair, the east coast deserves a nod!

Best regards,

Jack Ubersax
New England (but born in Ohio!)

I was wondering if any of you old types remembered me. I worked out of 55 and Carniege for three yrs as Coordinator of Product Service Training under Herman. Then as a Service Engineer in Atlanta under
Fox untill 1984. I then moved on to Mazak and nine years ago I went out on my own.

Rich:

My recollection of you is that you were extremely intelligent, had a dynamic and positive attitude, and almost always able to solve the problem at hand. Wow, that is a pretty high mark, eh!

Jack
New England

I'll take the compliment, but I think you have me confused with Rich Funk.
Last I hear he was with G&L doing W/S service out of his home.

COPLIMENT DEFINATELY GOES TO "ROUTLAW", THE ONLY
THING THAT FITS THE OTHER GUY IS "INTELLIGENT".
I REMBER YOU, YOUR WIFE WORKED AT 55TH/CARNEGIE
ALSO. KEN

[ 04-10-2007, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: Ken Hlatky ]

Rich:

Now that we have established your intellectual abilities, please help me with a bit of history. I seem to recall that Len Fox and Bob Labarr were both in the Atlanta Office for a while. I think Bob went there from the Dayton Office, and that Lenny had arrived long before that, having been sent down from the Erie office as DM. I think that Bob passed away while Lenny was still Manager there, no? Then, Lenny and Bill Gent helped each other as both sold used machinery in their own private outfits. Other W/S guys in the mix too, like Lou Zath in Cleveland, and others I cannot recall.

Jack
New England

Hi, Jack,

You're right about all that.

Also, Lu, Bob, and Len were all representatives for PMR and Gahr Machine, selling AC/AB rebuilds and used machines after they retired from W&S.

I think Bob died after Lenny retired, but not sure about that.

Bob had alzheimer's at the end; a very sad condition. He was a real gentleman.

Len and I worked together for years as "partners"
and sold mostly Swaseys and parts, and the occasional heat-treat oven, etc., etc..

We all got our basic training as part of the Cleveland Mafia under Howard Rhea, as did
Bob Cramer, Ed Falcon, and lots of others.

Ah yes! Those were The Days!

BG

Bob came down to Atlanta as Manager when Len retired. I always felt funny about that; but then I wasn't privy to what was going on. It was soon after that that W/S had the big lay off and I was gone the first time. A year later I came back and a year later I was gone again.
By the way my wife was secretary to the manager of Mfg Eng. Ed Collard (died) and Roger Slates.

Back