What's new
What's new

OLD SWASEY GUY

NORM NEFFIELD

Plastic
Started at Swasey early 65 in the regular apprentice program. Took leave to do the Air Force thing in Sept. of the same year. Came back three and a half years later to regain my standing as an apprentice but being married and all I needed a real job!

The company was great to me as they allowed my tranfer to the Control Engineering dept. at the Research Certer in Solon. Yea I know it was refered to as "The Country Club" but someone had to be there.

Well next thing I knew it was 1971 and we had built the DNC system sold to Gleason in Rochester and Dresser in Dallas. The service dept. at that time had limited personel with real electronic background so I was offered the job of flying between Rochester and Dallas to keep these systems up. That got old in a hurry and by 72 I moved to Dallas to work for Dresser.

Been here in Pennsylvania for 30 years now repairing CNC machines on my own. Yes, stil work on 1SC, 2SC, 3SC (now there`s a brute) and even a few Universals. Haven`t seen a slant bet in many a year.

Have some great pictures of W&S initiations from 65 and 69, I think. Need to drag those out to share.

NORM:

THANKS FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTION TO THE ALUMNI SITE. THIS IS GOOD STUFF TO HELP MAINTAIN AN INTEREST IN THIS SITE AND TO ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO ADD THEIR W/S EXPERIENCES.

IT SEEMS TO ME THAT WALWORTH HAD A FACILITY IN YOUR PRESENT AREA AT ONE TIME. THEY WERE A GOOD CUSTOMER WHEN OUT HERE IN BRAINTREE, THEN CLOSED THIS PLANT AND WENT TO GREENSBURG - CANNOT RECALL WHAT YEAR THAT WAS, BUT GUESS IT WAS AROUND 1970. I SOLD THEM A BIG SADDLE TYPE MACHINE WITH A CROSS SLIDING HEX TURRET AND A SPECIAL CUSHMAN FLOP CHUCK, PERMITTING THE MACHINING OF MORE THAN ONE FACE AND BORE IN A SETUP ON THEIR VALVE BODIES.

JACK UBERSAX
NEW ENGLAND

Thanks for the reply Jack!

When I moved to the Greensburg area in 77 Walworth was still here and I worked on Both SC-28s till they closed in 82? Just up and moved everything to Mexico after they were bought and had labor problems.

HI NORM: ENJOYED YOUR STORY. REMEMBER YOU, BUT NEVER GOT TO KNOW YOU. I WAS SENT TO A PLANT WE HAD ON 130TH & ST CLAIR IN EARLY 1966. A FEW APPRENTICES DID STINTS AT ST CLAIR, BUT NOT MANY. IN THE FIFTIES, A FEW OF OUR REG. APPRENTICE INITIATIONS TOOK PLACE IN THE HEAT TREAT DEPT. JOHN ADAMS WAS A GOOD SCHOOL WHEN YOU ATTENDED, MY WIFE GRADUATED FROM ADAMS IN 1959. KEEP WORKING. KEN HLATKY REG. APP.

Hi Ken, How are you. I personally never spent time at the St. Clair plant but do remember it. I went there once to deliver or pick something up. Do you remember Bill Zelenka, Gary Kozel or Ron Kotula? I`m going to try to send you some photos of initiations from so long ago I can`t remember most of the faces there in.

Back