Project M-1330/No.2
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Project M-1330/No.2

After slightly over three weeks of waiting to arrange a truck to bring the bloody thing down for me, she's finally arrived.

It is both in better shape than I thought, AND worse. Mechanically, it seems quite sound. The bed has wear, but not atrociously so.The serial is #49XXX so I'm assuming it was made in 1949. "Lot 45" if that means anything.

It's been repainted at least twice, grey throughout, and thankfully not too sloppily. (Both appear to have been spray jobs, and some attention was paid to masking.)

I have not yet powered it up. The breaker box is missing it's cover, and apparently each of the four breakers has a sort of safety- I'm told the previous owner, who only used it once, had a piece of wood pressing those contacts down. If anyone knows where I can get a proper cover, I'd be grateful.

It's currently wired to a static converter, though I don't yet know what that is rated to. PO says he tweaked the wiring from how his PO had it, and it now supposedly works on both speeds.

As I don't have native 3-phase, I'm taking suggestions on how I might set this up in some way better than a cheap static converter. I have a rotary, but that's only good to 3HP- I did get a factory manual with this thing, but I don't see a motor HP rating anywhere.

I don't think we can do it right with a VFD, so either rotary or Phase Perfect? Any other suggestions?

On the plus side, I did get a pretty fair collection of collets and turret tool holders:

Although the only actual turret tools I got was a simple turning tool holder and an incomplete box tool.

Which, as I said in the other thread, is no big- I have a fair crate of turret tooling already.

Now, first question: How do the collets work?

This unit has this hefty end cap...

Into which the collets sort of 'clip', and those sit in this inner collar...

Which, in order to properly actuate, an internal tube pushes it forward. That's easy enough, and a nice dead-length setup, but the problem is, I don't honestly see how the tube is actuated. I think I may be missing some parts?

Here's the spindle end:

Which has a very collet-closer looking thing under the cover, but according to the manual, this is actually part of the bar-feed mechanism. I think. I am not at all sure the handle with the chrome ball goes there- it was loose in the box of tooling, and there's a badly-wallowed-out threaded hole there under the cover... except the cover can't close with the handle installed. So clearly something's not right.

There's also this dangly link and a small shaft collar (which was found loose in the box of tooling)...

And this bare spot where a bracket used to be...

But according to the manual, that's all just part of some sort of power bar feed mechanism. I can find no lever or rod or whatever that actually closes the collets. Any suggestions as to what to look for?

Doc.

Post Thanks / Like

The serial is #49XXX
    Nope - they were at 165,000 as of 1920 per serial book - maybe you are just missing a digit

Limi's posting of the early forties "TOOLS" has the M1330 with threaded spindle nose - on page 170 - and no doubt will have at least something to say about those collets

Vintage Turret Lathe Tooling Cats

have fun

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by johnoder View Post
    Nope - they were at 165,000 as of 1920 per serial book - maybe you are just missing a digit?
    -I was indeed. It's #490XXX. I was given to understand the first two numbers were the year-of-manufacture, is that not correct?

Limi's posting of the early forties "TOOLS" has the M1330 with threaded spindle nose[...]
    -Already downloaded and scoured. My spindle nose is 4-7/8" 6TPI, which the PDF suggests was used on #3 and #4 machines.

And no doubt will have at least something to say about those collets.
    -Nope. I have Limi's PDF, the '59 A "tools" book, a '63 C 'tools', and an apparently original-to-the-machine Service Manual, and none of them even show, let alone describe, this style of collet. I haven't found anything on eBay that resembles them, and didn't even know where to start looking on Hardinge's site. (Several are marked Hardinge, so presumably they at least at one time made them.)

And no offense to your invaluable help, good sir, but I might be reposting these questions in the main antique forum, to maybe get a wider variety of input.

Doc.

Post Thanks / Like

No on the dating assumption

It's #490XXX
    From 1939

maybe get a wider variety of input.
    Sounds like a plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Doc, sir
    Yes, you are missing parts for your collet closer. Contact small tools/gahr in Cleveland. THey will have all you need to get up and running. As fur your power issue.. Get a mirror and look for the motor plate and get the values from the motor.. Just a swag on my part but you probably have 3/7 hp motor.. Personally I'd go with a rotary converter. ( try American rotary, they have been most helpful to me in the past)
    Hope this helps
    Stay safe
    Calvin B

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Several threads have suggested Gahr, but I've never been able to connect to their website.

What sort of parts do they have? Is it a pretty extensive listing, or just a few crates of decades-old spares and mostly-stripped parts machines.

Would I actually be able to go through the service manual and order pieces by part number?

And, does anyone know if it's possible to convert this thing from what I'm pretty sure is a powered closer, to a manual one?

Doc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Doc, Sir
    Small Tools and Gahr are one and the same.. I was there about three weeks ago and I was in W&S parts heaven. You have to call and ask or try sending a pic and tell them what you need.. Bill will be able to hook you up with what ever you need. They appear to be short staffed during the current apocalypse.. So be mindful of that.
    As for going through the parts/service manual I'd say that would be the way to get what you need ( you also need the serial # ) Just speak with them..
    Stay safe
    Calvin B
    PS cool 1330 ya got there.. to bad it doesn't have a powered apron..