What's new
What's new

questions about number 5

alonzo83

Stainless
We just got our scrapyard find power washed off oiled up and under power next to it's big brother.

Outside of the rear main seal on the electric motor needing to be replaced @ .11 cents a pound it seems to be a great machine.

I was curious about something on this lathe there is a power drive on the back of the turrent nestled under the handle, can anyone tell me what its use was for?

Also on the longitudinal stops have another mechanism that is actuated with the stop that I am not sure what it purpose was for either.

Thank you for reading.

http://s72.photobucket.com/user/jones6037/media/IMG_20140405_154439_307.jpg.html

http://s72.photobucket.com/user/jones6037/media/e3d034b9-5d55-4968-828b-bbbdbab7acc2.jpg.html

http://s72.photobucket.com/user/jones6037/media/bc22b9a5-ea7c-45b3-8864-6b6c5dfbc7d9.jpg.html

edited out big obnoxious pics.

Last edited:
What year is it ? Mine does not seem to have that feature going from memory- Jess

I crawled all over this guy trying to find a date on it. I cant find one. I found a serial number on the electrical box.

This lathe had a badge on the front, "property of warner swasey company". Did W/S lease machines back in the day?

The machine had what seemed to be a heavy coat of cottonwood dander stuck to everything. I don't think it has been under power for many years.

here is a pic of the s/n
IMG_20140405_154619_921.jpg Photo by jones6037 | Photobucket

It is under power. Speeds shift smoothly and everything engages as it should. the chuck stops on a dime.

I can only tell it is newer than your war machine. . . I'm kinda jealous. I like older machines.

We have the 1A the smallest of the bigger machines and it has the same boxed in look to. It is a 73".

We had a hitachi seiki with what appeared to be the same arrangement on the longitudinal stop mechanism.

Is it possible the power drive was for a threading or taper attachment that would have driven the cross-slide? I seem to recall there were some options like that.

Is it possible the power drive was for a threading or taper attachment that would have driven the cross-slide? I seem to recall there were some options like that.

Very much unsure. I am going to get another look at it tomorrow and see if there is anything upstream from the drive.

I am assuming it was some sort of turrent drive, other than the power drive that runs the turrent???

So it was leased. thank you

I went over to the new gal, and peered down the power drive, it has no place "I can logically see" that it attaches too a secondary feed source. . . wacky.

It might have been rebuilt at some point. We had a 2A and 3A non-square head. I know the 3A had an R before the serial number and found paperwork from Warner & Swasey discussing payment for the rebuild. The 2 1/4" 5 spindle auto bar machine we had looked modern like a 60's era machine but I was shocked to find my step-dad bought it new in 1947. Our #2, 3 & 4 were all war machines. The #5 Square Head he had then sold was from the 60's.

No clue on the power drive.

Hello Alonzo Sir,
I do believe that is the remnants of a thread chasing attachment.. I do believe that it's the one with automatic half nuts and the stops can be set to disengage the threading operation..
Hope this helps
Stay safe
Calvin
PS some more pics might help positively identify the critter

I think you are reffering to the assembly to the front of the lathe? I think that is where the thread chasing attachment went.

The back picture is a thread lead on attachment for dieheads., or collapsible taps. It doesn't look complete. Most of them were later removed, rarely used. I have run turret lathes for years and never saw one used, though have seen lathes with them on like yours. The front lower picture is a auto knock off thread attachment, I have a Square head 5 that has one and use it for single tool threading. Yours is missing the engage lever. Takes a special screw and nut for each thread, they are expensive and very hard to find. Your machine is only slightly older than mine, I would guess a 57 model, because mine is a 58. I have a S/N book. These are much better machines than the old preselector 5's. Much more accurate, and wayyyyyy better shifting. I used to run shafts and hold .0005 tolerance. Machine has to be really level and in very good condition and dial in really good condition. Keep machine clean and well oiled and greased. Most people really neglect turret lathes. Also gib adjustment needs to be correct and no how to run them...

Back