Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Talking Lower radiator hose for the old VW

In my punk years when the gas station was a service station there was a little fun to be had.

The station across the street had a high turnover due to their insistance on hiring folks who knew nothing about cars and expecting them to provide full service as well as minor repairs.

We would call the new guy on the phone and tell them we were stranded a couple blocks up the street (at the intersection of 2 streets that did not cross) with a blown out hose.

We would ask them to look it up and go out to the bay and get it in their hands to hold it for us as we were at the pay phone and the walk was probably a long one (they would not be sure of the directions because they were not sure where we were).

Discussing with them the details of what the hose looked like, measuring the one from the car for the universal one were a blast, none of them figured out why the 1972 beetle did not have the lower radiator hose listed in their guide, must have been because it was an import...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This wasn't a prank but sure was funny-

Way back when I was a mechanic, I worked with a tough SOB who was also a really nice guy and a real pro. He had every way to beat the book worked out, and I learned a lot from him.

One of his tricks was to use an old box end wrench as a spacer when installing new lugs. He crank the nut down with an impact while holding the wrench.

One time he decided to let go of the wrench. That sucker flew around at Mach II and smacked him right where the brow meets the nose- and he went down like a sack of bricks.

We had to wipe the tears out of our eyes before we could help him. Pride was bruised more than anything .

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Transmission blew out

One other is used on management.

In the old radio days managers lasted about 2 years so there were a constant supply of fresh targets.

We would take a piece of wire about 4 feet long and tie a washer to each end.

Then wrap it around the drive shaft, tie a knot in the middle to hold it in place.

Be sure it is in the correct place to be heard well.

We then wrap the wire around the drive line so the rotation keeps it tight and secure the washers with tape.

One having a little more than the other.

This allows the car to reach speed before the washer comes loose.

Once loose it is ok until the speed slows, then the washer un-winds just enough to slap the floorboard.

Noise makes foot come of gas, person thinks transmission is going to blow, then suddenly it is fixed when they slow down (after washer blows off).

Now they carefully get back to same speed, after a few miles they go a little faster, then the other one comes off.

They usually do not risk a third attempt and arrive very late to work the next day as the commute was at 30 MPH.

The knot in the wire must be such that the wire will be thrown off with the second washer so no evidence left behind.

Also only do on rear wheel drive and away from anything that can be damaged by flying washers...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When we were 20 and working for Northern Electric installing telephone equipment in central stations. The equipment racks were 13' high with cable racks above loaded with cables. The boys would pull a cable from one end of the building to the other basically. This took a crew of guys because of weight/corners/friction. We would be on the ground trying to connect all this and tie the cables in. This new guy, Garfield, was always played pranks on. One day he was sleeping in the cable rack which was common. He was out the night before performing (drinking) and the next day was a mess. Passed out in the cable tray and they wrap a roll of string around him and then go to lunch. Too funny!
    We would live in hotels when out of town. He was out one night again and the boys got in his room after he was passed put. They glued his fridge door shut, phone down, shoes to the ceiling and door shut with crazy glue. This same chap had a Thames Van with glued on mirror tiles on the roof and walls. That was when Chevy Vans were cool!
    We would do our connections on grave yard. This town was small enough that you could here a call arrive and we had one guy connecting all the headsets to the call. Kept us awake and entertained. This headset system was used to wake people up in the cable trays.
    Garfield didn't last long or did the supervisor either. Weldon Smo_thly. He was on his last job before retirement. He was well done by the time we finished him off too!
    It's sad when I think of it now. We were just kids and that makes it alright?

Sorry Weldon and Garfield

I also remember the big ship yards.
    I would do service calls at one. A old school mate worked there driving the "Bull Moose". It was a big yard and he was all over it as his father had done before him. He gave me the real tour one day. He showed me a hideaway with room for say 10 guys. They had a 18" section of pipe with a 3/4 plate on top. A cutting torch poked in the side running 24/7 for heat and keeping the coffee hot.
    My schoolmate would deliver beer around the yard with the bull moose. He had keys for everything including the back gate where the beer arrived.
    Crane operators would be up there basically all day. Pee? They used a bottle and sometimes poured it on workers below. Sick

This was 25 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember thisone guy he was on work release or something .
    the shop was payed part of his wages from the goverment for having him work.
    He had so a set time to make it from the halfway house to work then report back after work .
    well he used to steal my lunch so I made grease sandwitches . he ate then for about a week before he found out .he must of been hungry .
    well when he found out or confronted me was the day he was going back to court .
    he was dressed up in his nice suit . he thought it would be funny to spit his copenhagen on my leg . just the smell made me puke all over the front of him and that made him puke . on himself . it was sick . but that was the last day I saw him I told that he was late to court and very mad . told the judge off . so he went back to the pen.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default fun with the kids

My favorite one I pulled on our apprentice. the kid had a rough night the night before and kicked back to take a nap at supper time, I snuck back into the break room while he was out and changed the time on the clock then woke him up like it was time to go home .... I wished I had a picture of the look on his face

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Tomrichardson

Besides telling the new hires or apprentices to harden a babbit hammer; we were also told to go find a sky hook.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Then there was John Czorny, who won lunch-hour bets from us greenhorns in Sales Engingeering by junping from the floor to the top of a 5-drawer file cabinet.

Saw him at a Reunion in Cleveland a few years ago; wonder if he's still with us?

BG