What's new
What's new

The Swasey Name Displayed in Ohio

Jack Ubersax

Aluminum
Is was glad to read of the work being done to restore the Swasey Telescope and related building there in Cleveland. I recall our class of Special Apprentices being taken there during our training stint. It is but one example of charitable work done by Ambrose Swasey.

At Denison University down in Granville, from which several W/S personnel graduated, there are two structures which bear the Swasey name. One of these is the large and beautiful Swasey Chapel, used for many important college functions. Immediately next to it is the Swasey Observatory.

Up in Cleveland Heights, built at the rear of the large First Baptist Church, you will find a large tower, known as the Swasey Tower, which contains the Church bells, etc.

I am sure there are many other such items of good work done by Amrose Swasey, outside of the manufacturing realm, that I am not aware of. It might be interesting to see the full list, if anyone could locate that bit of history.

Hi Jack
Thanks for the info about the Cleveland Heights church with the Swasey tower. I have lived in Cleveland Heights almost my entire life and never knew that bit of history.
Bill McNamara

Back