W&S #10 bench model tapping machine
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anyone have a link to a manual for this machine? I would like to try it out, but don't want to screw it up, so to speak...I'd love to know what its capabilities and capacities are..

tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow - good luck in finding documentation on this machine! I believe that W/S dropped these machines from their lineup around the early 1950's. It was a line of Precision Tapping and Threading Machines which W/S got by buying the company that developed them, or at least most of the models. It was known as the Bakewell Tapping and Threading Machine. They were quite accurate - the two half-nuts or followers were threaded in their ID's by a portion of the leadscrew, so both had precisely the same pitch. As you have seen, you need a different lead screw for each pitch thread, and you cut the half nuts from the lead screw. So, you have a fine machine there. All you need now is a manual or a chat with somebody who can tell you the details of its operation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is a really nice machine; I can see that each pitch needs a different lead screw on the machine; I suppose I can make a set on my lathe but I will have to really get a better look at things when I have time. I figured for $35 (!!!!) I could always make it into a really nice small drill press! looks like this guy has a big bakewell
    http://inv.wheelermachinery.com/q/we...a,,,10234966,,