W&S 2A rapid traverse repairs
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default W&S 2A rapid traverse repairs

I bought a pretty nice 2A about a year ago. Pretty much everything works. The rapid traverse in the X / Longitudinal direction (rapid traverse lever in the out position) always felt like something was messed up. Now it appears to be boumd up and does not work. The Z cross direction (lever pushed in)still works fine.

How difficult is this to open up and to repair? Can anyone recommend a source for drawings or pictures of the piece of the lathe opened up/exploded view?

Unfortunately, this machine does not have the back gear transmission. I would like to know if retrofitting is difficult or even possible? Anybody scrapping one of these monsters with back gears? Could I buy the pieces? Hopefully, not too far from Charlotte, NC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by clarkoh View Post
    I bought a pretty nice 2A about a year ago. Pretty much everything works. The rapid traverse in the X / Longitudinal direction (rapid traverse lever in the out position) always felt like something was messed up. Now it appears to be boumd up and does not work. The Z cross direction (lever pushed in)still works fine.

How difficult is this to open up and to repair? Can anyone recommend a source for drawings or pictures of the piece of the lathe opened up/exploded view?

Unfortunately, this machine does not have the back gear transmission. I would like to know if retrofitting is difficult or even possible? Anybody scrapping one of these monsters with back gears? Could I buy the pieces? Hopefully, not too far from Charlotte, NC.
    Anybody done this or know about the pieces for the threading gears? Buehler? Buehler?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am still interested in any advise that would help me make repairs to my lathe.

The rapid traverse in the X / Longitudinal direction (rapid traverse lever in the out position) always felt like something was messed up. Now it appears to be bound up and does not work. With the lever pulled out, it will not move left or right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry I can give no advice. My experience with these machines is limited to Tooling design. You might try contacting Gahr Machine in Ohio (I have no affliation). www.gahrmachine.com They still fool around with these oldies.