What's new
What's new

W&S #3 axial runout

elysianfield

Cast Iron
Hello,
I have a beautiful, recently rebuilt #3 Warner&Swasey turret machine that was modified to a #4 spindle. I currently manufacture a component on the beast and it has been without issue for three years or so. A few month back, the push tube in the spindle began sticking, not allowing the collet to open. I used a brass drift to reset the tube(several times), and floated some diesel, oil, etc. into the channel to remove the gum what was causing the issue. The problem I now have is that I have axial run-out, and with more cutting pressure, more run-out becomes evident. I have damaged either the master collet, the 1" collet jaws, or the face of the push tube, and I expect the push tube might be the issue...burred and contacting the master at an angle. I tried to remove the tube, but it seems to be keyed through the spindle...I would hate to have to do open heart surgery on the gear head...any way to get the push tube out (for inspection) without "opening her up"? I'm having dark thoughts about using a boring bar to true the face of the push tube rather than dis-assembly and doing it right. Any thoughts?

Back