What's new
What's new

W&S #3 Cross Feed not disengaging ?

tfuquajr

Aluminum
Just as title states I brought home my new W&S #3 M1200 got it cleaned up put new plug on it and cranked it up all was good until I went to disengage the cross feed and it just kept on going set the forward reverse switch to a center position to get it out of gear have taped gently on it bumped it back and forth to no avail.
It is still stuck in gear and will not operate manually any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.:confused:

We have that machine and if I had to guess I would think clutch is stuck. The one for the turret is a cone clutch and easy to adjust. Not sure about cross feed. Good luck.

Ok thanks have not got back into it today I will look at it again tomorrow did install new plug on the W&S also got my Cincinnati running and it worked great.

DSCF3829 (Medium).jpg
Tf, Sir,
IS this the area that you are trying to describe ? If so the lever in the lower right is the cross feed engagement lever. After sitting about for a while they can get stiff/freeze ( rust, old grease, etc)up. If the lever won't disengage push the "L" shaped part down and it should retract the pin in the center of the lever and then it should drop. Now on the cross slide there is a trip dog that contacts the brass bump on the saddle this in turn, pushes the pin out that the engagement lever contacts.
Let me know if this helps.
Stay safe
Calvin

View attachment 166860
Tf, Sir,
IS this the area that you are trying to describe ? If so the lever in the lower right is the cross feed engagement lever. After sitting about for a while they can get stiff/freeze ( rust, old grease, etc)up. If the lever won't disengage push the "L" shaped part down and it should retract the pin in the center of the lever and then it should drop. Now on the cross slide there is a trip dog that contacts the brass bump on the saddle this in turn, pushes the pin out that the engagement lever contacts.
Let me know if this helps.
Stay safe
Calvin

Yes that is where the problem is at and i do know how the engagement lever works it is down disengaged but the cross slide is still feeding on its own. I did remove the handle cleaned it out worked it in and out but still not disengaging.
Can you be more specific as to the dog your are describing maybe a pic I think I know but not 100% sure ?
I dont want to pull it apart if I can help it but may need to to get it all thoroughly cleaned and lubed.
Thanks for your help

TF Sir,
The 'dog' that I was describing is the kick out dog on the cross slide. The part that is triangle shaped with the nut on the cross slide. That would not have any thing to do with your problem, ie: the stuck clutch..
Two things come to mind.. Did you lube the grease fitting with the proper type 'O' grease ? Also you said you had the 'handle' apart.. Did you remove the handle from the machine ? If so you had to take the screws out of the handle housing which is the clutch adjustment and you may have the clutch to tight.. The clutch is a simple friction clutch.. there are two 'halves' that mate together just in front of the grease fitting.. if there is no play in these then the clutch is to tight and won't disengage.. If you take this part off you will see a series of holes.. turn the outside 'half' a few holes back til the clutch disengages.. You really should hunt down a manual.. they are cheap enough and readily available on e-bay.. Plus they are works of art ( at least to me ).
Another thought.. have you tried to reverse the feed ( lever just below the cross feed ) ? Sometimes the clutch wont disengage if to much/wrong grease is pumped in.. it kinda binds up the friction clutch..
Just some thoughts for ya.. It's not a major problem just something to work through..
Stay safe
Calvin
PS I think vintage machinery may have a download of a no#3 manual..

It's been years since I had one apart, but I believe the clutch is a cone shape and the male and female cones get almost lapped together and stick. I recall roughing up the male side with a file so they would not stick so good. I am not home to look at an old manual, but pull off the handle and take out the clutch and clean, inspect and roughen it up. Also like the others have said clean the paint and burr's. Rich

Ok thanks,I need to look at the parts break down again to see that.I will go look at it this evening.

Thanks Calvin I do need to get the manual I have the parts manual. I think I need to tear it down and clean all the old goo and muck out of it.

TF sir,
You probably don't have to "tear it down".. Just run it in reverse til it kicks out.. Pump in the right 'type O' grease and adjust the clutch cam.. You don not have to get into the machine as all of these things are external. When I got both of my W&S's they were lubed with what looked like type 2 automotive grease and neither would operate very well. ( sluggish kick out and just over all sluggishness of the controls.. After proper oil ( dte medium/ vactra #2 ) and proper grease ( type 'O')everything smoothed out and is now fine.. With out going into a overly pedantic amount of detail.. these machines where designed to run around the clock and have specific design features.. They are simple yet versatile and if you give them what they were designed to run on they will just keep going.. Also most dirt and crud is pushed out of the way by new/ proper lubrication.. Most adjustments are external.. Keep in mind that production is what these machines were made for so maintenance was designed to be quick and easy..
Here's some pics of the clutch engaged and disengaged on one of my machines.. you can see the half moon cam engaged and disengaged.. Hope this helps.
Stay safe
Calvin

Attachments

• DSCF3833 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF3833 (Medium).jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 130
  • DSCF3832 (Medium).jpg
    DSCF3832 (Medium).jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 135
Got it going had to loosen the saddle took all the bolts out supported the carriage and lifted up the saddle it became free'd up put it back together adjusted the nut and all is well.
Thanks for all the help.

Hey TF Sir,
What do you think the problem was ? Next we need to see some pics of it making chips..!
Enjoy !
Stay safe
Calvin
Old dirt grease and oil I would suspect ? it did seem to be jammed somehow but after loosening the saddle it gave it room to let the gear release and then I adjusted for the engaging lever to function correctly.
Will post pics of some curls I need some new inserts to make chips.
Love the lathe only wish it had a gear box. I am going to find one now with a threading box.

Back