What's new
What's new

Frozen Cross slide on my W & S No 3 ???? Any advice ?

Metalmetalmetal

Plastic
I have considered this machine bulletproof and am baffled by the frozen slide? I had it in a shop that shared a woodworking shop so I think maybe we have gumming on the ways issue. I turned the cross slide all the way in today and now it's stuck. I tried a few things.
1. oil
2. heat
3. scissor jack
4. large heavy blunt object

I can not get it to budge. I need advice. Should I take the cross slide off of the carriage and soak it? Bring it to a shop with a press?

I have considered this machine bulletproof and am baffled by the frozen slide? I had it in a shop that shared a woodworking shop so I think maybe we have gumming on the ways issue. I turned the cross slide all the way in today and now it's stuck. I tried a few things.
1. oil
2. heat
3. scissor jack
4. large heavy blunt object

I can not get it to budge. I need advice. Should I take the cross slide off of the carriage and soak it? Bring it to a shop with a press?

I have done that more times than I care to admit, and when you run it into the end of the travel, you are never just creeping up on it, it is usually full on cranking the handle until it hits and then it is as if it is frozen in place.

As Beckley stated, just tap the handle in a CCW motion to break it free and you should be good to go. That is all you should need to do.

Let us know how you make out.

Best Regards,
Russ

Back