Which W&S do I want? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fal Grunt, Sir
    Spindle on mine is american standard spindle.. some were threaded. Mine just bolts to the face of the spindle with the standard 3 inch per foot taper..
    Yes I thread and tap on my #3.. But not the conventional engine lathe manner. I thread using self opening die head. National acme or landis or that other popular one that the name eludes me at the moment.. Tapping is pretty straight forward with a tapping tool in the turret. Hunt up some old books like "turret lathe tools" by W&S on flea bay.. Warner & Swasey were not niggardly in any way about info and instruction on their products. Man that was a great company from what I can see through the murkiness of time.. Sigh..
    Anyhow.. no 4's and 3's share the same turret tooling ( 1.5 inch shank )so there is a ton of it floating about.
    As fur HGR.. well it's a junk yard and as with any junk yard it's buyer beware.. Anything you get from them will need money rubbed on it to bring it up to a workable standard.. Ya just gotta factor that in..
    With that said Steve Fisher is a pretty straight shooter in my experience.. YMMV
    Check with Craig Donges.. he's out your way and runs across some good deals from time to time.. If you don't know him I'm sure Ray can hook you up with his contact info.
    Hope this helps
    Stay safe
    Calvin
    PS I wish I was a little more technically savy so I could post a video of the #3 threading a rod.. amazingly fast
    On edit... I remembered this you tube video.. If you wade through the part about custom tools for steam locomotives at about the 3:20 mark is a neat little video of a #4 rolling some threads ( even if the operator is somewhat wimpy in the use of the box tool ) enjoy !
    UP Steam Update: November 215 - YouTube
    Last edited by calvin b; 11-01-2016 at 06:14 PM. Reason: additional info

2. Likes lathefan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    Derek,

Tried to PM you, but I'm apparently not smart enough on this new board on my phone.

I'll try to PM you tonight.
    I tried to pm you, your box is full.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I hate this new layout. It took me near 20 minutes to figure out how to delete PM's. I guess it's supposed to be intuitive that the circle x means delete PM's. Derek, I cleared some space, I apologize.

Calvin,
    Thanks again for the info. The "junkyard" aspect of HGR doesn't bother me. It's the lying sales staff and BS that they babble that makes me irate. I had a bunch of tooling that I wanted that "went with" the machine. They absolutely could not sell that tooling. Next time I came back, all the tooling was gone. Some of the pcs were 100lbs+, and I was told someone must have walked out with them.

Another time I put an offer on 2 machines and was told they were not allowed to deviate from the "price structure". I had a friend call and make a low ball offer over the phone and they took his offer. I would have like to have had those two machines!

Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another time I put an offer on 2 machines and was told they were not allowed to deviate from the "price structure". I had a friend call and make a low ball offer over the phone and they took his offer. I would have like to have had those two machines!
    WTF are you talking about?
    Your friend called for you and made an offer that was excepted.
    What do you mean you "would have liked to have those 2 machines"?? Sounds like you got them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dkmc View Post
    WTF are you talking about?
    Your friend called for you and made an offer that was excepted.
    What do you mean you "would have liked to have those 2 machines"?? Sounds like you got them.
    HE got those machines, they are now about 1500 miles away from me.

They wouldn't deal with me, I told him to call and make an offer on the machines. He did, and they took his offer, about 12% below mine.

Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So he wouldn't act as the go-between and buy them FOR you?
    And why wouldn't they deal with you?

HE got those machines, they are now about 1500 miles away from me.

They wouldn't deal with me, I told him to call and make an offer on the machines. He did, and they took his offer, about 12% below mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have you bought from HGR before?