What's new
What's new

W/S Factory photos (recent)

TurningHead

Cast Iron
Link to Photos taken fairly recently at the Cleveland Ohio Plant.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hellmutt/galleries/72157622291472635/

8th photo down I believe is looking SW at the Test Floor area
(NW corner of the Plant)

9th I believe was taken right outside the main Lobby as you entered the main shop.

Long time since I roamed around these rooms.
Long time gone.

Last I heard the city of Cleveland was using the Plant as a trash seperation and recycling "facility".

Regards,
John

sad to see W S plant now
I can see if you a turret today for get it.

Are their any out there of it in use in the later years?

If memory serves me correctly the Cleveland Plant was shut down in the eighties.
The Company moved to Solon, Ohio and activity continued for a short time.

Meanwhile, after at least 4 corporate "take-overs" (in only a decade), the lights were turned off for the last time.

More info can be found in a book entitled "The Rise and Destruction of the Warner and Swaey Company". The book would provide a great deal of fodder for the Manufacturing in America and Europe forum....

Regards
John

The Rise and Destruction of the Warner Swasey Co by Peter Rebar was a facinating read.
Copies may still be available from the author, he was working at Hi Level Industries or something close to that when I got mine. Profit is not a dirty word, but when mindless greed is running the show, the bottom of the barrel is not far away. Jim

We lost a good company

Warner & Swasey was purchased because we were too rich due to lease programs and quality eqipment.

Bendix won out in the stock option after Dominion out of canada came after us. Many W&S execs were rich over night but Bendix which we were told was a white knight actually was a black knight. They tore the guts out of W&S and sold off the Divisions and took the money in the bank.

So sad to see the plant photos.

Retired Reg. Apprentice

TPR

Fyi!

The Rise and Destruction of the Warner Swasey Co by Peter Rebar was a facinating read.
Copies may still be available from the author, he was working at Hi Level Industries or something close to that when I got mine. Profit is not a dirty word, but when mindless greed is running the show, the bottom of the barrel is not far away. Jim

Peter Rebar is The President of Hy-Level!

Warner & Swasey was purchased because we were too rich due to lease programs and quality equipment.

Bendix won out in the stock option after Dominion out of canada came after us. Many W&S execs were rich over night but Bendix which we were told was a white knight actually turned out to be a black knight. They tore the guts out of W&S and sold off the Divisions and took the money in the bank.

So sad to see the plant photos.

Retired Reg. Apprentice

TPR

Back