What's new

W & S No. 5 Motor Drive VIBRATION & SMOKE

saidnamedPOG

Plastic
We have a Warner & Swasey No. 5

Model M-2250
Lot 14
Ser. R1572288

Our Motor started vibrating pretty bad and getting extremely hot (after only a few minutes of running), At one point the motor actually started to smoke and the operator was forced to shut it down to let it cool. (But we're currently still using the machine)

I checked the motor shaft coupling and it looks fine with almost no wear. I feel like it could just be bad bearing in the motor.

I was wondering if this was a bearing problem could I service it myself by dis-assembling the motor? Or is that something that would have to be done by the manufacturer or service company?

I am responsible for maintenance for the entire facility and I am not an expert on everything (just yet :P)

Any, help or direction would be great. ThanksIMAG0150.jpgIMAG0151.jpgIMAG0149_1.jpg

POG,
Personally I'd pull the motor and send it to a motor repair shop.. Let them sort things out. Learn from them..
Hope this helps
Stay safe
Calvin

I would encourage you to remove the exposed end frame. It is held on with 4 bolts. Make sure the power is off first and mark the end frame and stator housing so they can be assembled in the same orientation. Once the end frame is off you can check that bearing and look at the stator windings. If the windings are black the motor will need to be rewound. If the bearing is bad, rough, check the housing for wear, and the shaft for wear the bearing should slip into the housing and press on to the shaft. You can also spin the armature by hand and see how much resistance it has and how much slop it has in the bearing that mounts in the other end. Again make sure the power is off. Also if the machine has a clutch, do these checks with the clutch disengaged so you'll have less resistance when you turn the armature. You also can do some resistance test with an volt ohm meter, set on ohms, In the switch panel for winding balance. If you chose to do this and don't know how let me know and I will explain. Tim 928 863 0734

Well, I found a place that could rewind and replace the bearings. $1,200 with 3 working days. Turned out the bearing housings (2) were bad and cost $219 each to replace. Just in case anyone cared. Thanks for the replies

Your working in a machine shop and not repairing the housings to save $438? Something I struggle with fix it and save $ or buy it and get on with making $. Tim

Back