What's new
What's new

Warner & Swasey #3 M-1200 Lot 402 S# 1323887 From USAF help with some Motor info.

CRJarvis

Plastic
i picked this one up and am looking for some info on the original Electric Motor.
someone put a 7.5 HP 220 1 phase motor on it. i would like to look for a 2 speed motor that will match the original speeds.

just looking on Ebay and youtube i can find its had a
Elect. Specs:
- HP: 7-1/2 & 3-3/4
- Volts: 220
- Phase: 3
- Cycle: 60

yet i can not find the RPM's of the HP's or even what type of motor was original?
any help will do. i have a service manual but its for all #3's 4's and 5's

also looking at what type of oil to fill the head stock with want to change it out. the manual said something like H-10 i seen people use just (ATF)? and not sure about that. any help hear as i am starting out with this and have been reading a lot of info.

looks like someone has done some Modification to this one. the Turret is on the back side of the tail stock and not on the head side like all i have seen. someone said something about turning one in to a motor lathe? i know the Guy that owned it has passed away and he had cut a VW Motor in half and made an airplane that he flew with it. so not sure what Mods he did and looking at undoing it. if any one had any ideas on this please let me know. i can post photos.

it has a 3 Jaw chuck Warner & Swasey M2307 mounted on it, looks like it was made with one. no welds like i have see on some on Ebay. thanks in advance for all the help i'm exited, and glad its in my shop was a lot of work to move this 3550lbs.

and if anyone could find the year it was made i would love to know, thanks.

Last edited:
Those motors are a bit of an oddball.

Even though it will be expensive, I would call up GAHR.

They will know.

Jaris, sir
Headstock oil is mobil dte medium, way oil is mobil vactra #2, grease is type 'o' NLGI. The only place that I have been able to source the grease is PSC supply.
If memory serves the motor is a constant torque 7.5/3.5 1725rpm two speed motor.
Hope this helps
Stay safe
Calvin b

thanks so looking for Oil for the Headstock.
from what people have said Mobil DTE Medium.

(looking at posts here and searching online.)
fixing this so no one see this and tries to use this stuff. seeing it was copied from others post on what Oil to use.
Glad i posted it here and Calvin b corrected me. thanks

Last edited:
Jarvis, Sir
Well... I operate under these principles when it comes to lubricants. 1 any oil is better than no oil 2 the oil specified by the manufacture is what tends to work best as they designed the beast. With that said, sir you are being rude or are just unable to read. You asked what oil to use and someone that has done the work of calling the oil manufactures and sourcing the right lubricants has taken time out of his day to generously answer your question and you go off on a tangent about a oil that was never mentioned as appropriate for the headstock of a M-1200 W&S. ( hint dte medium is NOT a iso 68 oil back to the drawing board there son ) Also the generous person told you where you could source all the lubricants that you may need for said machine and said source has a quite extensive cross reference that you could avail yourself of.
Go ahead and put the AW oil in your machine or atf instead of a good R&O oil and see what happens to your 'organic' high speed clutch. See how nice your friction clutches work.. see how well your oil pump works with oil that is too heavy.. But then maybe that will give you more to think about.
Hope this helps
Stay safe
Calvin B

sorry i did not mean to be rude Calvin b. was looking for something Local that the oil companies carried here. thanks for the help and i did not find anything listed in the list from other posts i did Read and Google search this forums site and others trying to find more info on what other oils will work. i have not used the oil yet so you have saved me a mistake. if i have to order the oil so be it.R&O OIL(rust and oxidation) what he had that would be R&O OIL(rust and oxidation) not sure, He did have some "mobil DTE Light" sounds like that would be better then what i Got. also he had some "Citgo slide rite 68" and "shell tonna s2 Mx 68" as way oil.

JArvis sir,
Sorry if I bruised your ego a bit.. But there is multiple life times of info on this board and if you slow down and listen/read the amount of knowledge and selflessness is staggering.
Try these folks.. ( posted them in my first post ) Mobil DTE Medium | Mineral Based R&O Oil | Shop Now
They have great cross references. While I applaud your effort to locally source stuff sometimes you have to get out of your comfort zone and just flat out hunt stuff down. BTW your machine takes almost 4.5 gallons of oil. The reason you use an R&O oil is that they separate out water extremely fast, the reason for dte medium is that it DOES NOT have the same EP additives ( think of it as a plain old school oil )that will attack the cork in your high speed clutch. I didn't post what I posted for your health or mine but rather for the health and longevity of your machine.
I am unfamiliar with the tonna oil you listed ( I'll be looking it up in a minute or two ) but stick with a oil that is designated way oil ( if it is a way oil then I apologize in advance.
Hope this helps
Stay safe
Calvin

this is the 1st lathe i have had or used.
also picked up a index mill with it. as for Bruise Ego i do not care for such things, lol.
i am here for any info and help i can get. comfort zone well i order stuff all the time. but was trying to get it wile i was off work.

my book i have shows the machine take 3 3/4 gallons. mind you i am not saying your wrong maybe you know more of the exact model i have.
and maybe my book is just for most #3's.
again i am new to this as Fire Fighter / Blade smith that is heading in to doing machining i know vary little only what i have read over the last few months.
i have CNC plasma cutters and other skills but this i am vary new to this and yes i have been reading about all types of Lathes but this one i know nothing about made before i was born. and had not seen one like it until i found this one. it was just 8 miles down the road.

and found this online. http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2261/3760.pdf also have one for parts list.
looking for more than Farm grade oil in this town is hard.
and as a dyslexic person typing, grammar, punctuation is not my strong point so forgive me.

as for the "Quote Originally Posted by JRIowa View Post
Mobil DTE Heavy medium is ISO-68 hydraulic oil
Mobil DTE 26 is ISO-68AW hydraulic oil (anti-wear, high pressure)." it was a post JRIowa did. as i was searching for oils i found his post." thanks to you i know it was wrong for my application.

Jarvis sir,
You flatter me with your post on the lubricants for the M-1200 #3, but really I just answered your original question. What I was grumpy about ( I've had a wee muckle dram and a nights sleep since then )was that you asked question and then went on about what somebody else wrote in a post in another thread. It's almost as if you didn't take time to listen to the answer to the question that you asked AND that is a pet peeve of mine.. Irritates me no end. Kinda reminds me what lawyers do ( never ask a question that they don't already 'know' the answer to ). Don't particularly like lawyers..
Any how I'm glad you finally slowed down enough to figure out what you need.. If you need anything else please feel free to ask and if I have an answer I'll try and help either on the public forum or with a PM. Good luck with your machine(s).
Stay safe
Calvin
PS a pic of your franken beast would be of intrest

Two-Speed
HP: 7.5/3.75
Volts: 440, 12/8.2A ( i know there is a 230V 3 PH model out there.)

RPM: 1770/870
Hz: 60
PH: 3

20431294_10212597349360567_2005410971344104700_n.jpg

motor replacement.
M159T BALDOR 7.5HP MOTOR

nice guy on Ebay posted a photo of the name plate.

Back