What's new
What's new

warner swasey#4..

mike graham

Plastic
hello, i have recently purchased a #4 turret lathe very nice shape. i am currently placing it and getting it operational. i have some tooling and have purchased some. my question is, has anyone retrofitted a compound slide and or quick change tool post to one of these machines i have an armstrong larger tool holder id like to use and do away with the original 4 position post. thanks in advance

I use a CA toolpost on my #3, It's mounted just like you mount one on a compound, except I made a spacer to raise it to the proper height.

thanks , i have considered doing the same, just thought id reach out to see if any retrofit was available

thanks , i have considered doing the same, just thought id reach out to see if any retrofit was available

Hey Mike, if you end up doing this please post pictures and details. I'd like to do this to my No.4 as well. It seems like adding an Aloris etc. would be pretty straightforward but pairing it with a compound rest would be ideal. Seems like the compound swivel base could be machined with the lathe to the proper dimensions.

Compound slide

W&S made what they called a "Adjustable Taper Finishing Tool" Tool number M-4106 fits a No. 4 machine , and has a travel of 2 inches

I am lookig for a similar M-4105 for my two No. 3 machines.

recently took the cross and compound slide off a Monarch EE at the local scrapyard with the intent of fitting it.

on a crosslide.. it looks like it wont take too much to do that.

I seldom use the big 4 way turret block toolpost use the Aloris type CA and AXA ....more and more the AXA

Back