What's new
What's new

Warner & Swasey No. 3 M2200 Chuck Compatibility

jmonroe6134

Plastic
Hello all.

This thread is in regard to the spindle nose for this model of turret lathe. Here at our company, we used to have a 3 jaw chuck which paired with this machine, however it has since disappeared within the last few years. My question is; What type of chuck can you purchase on the market today that fits the spindle nose of this machine? And, what spindle nose is this? I have tried googling this machine for information, to no avail. I hope that at least one person here would know. I truly hope that I do not have to resort to Ebay to find an old abused one that may or may not be of use.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards, Josh

Most of the W&S machines, at least from around WW2 and after, were A-series, probably A2 as I recall.

Here's a chart with the various styles and specs.

I have a small No.2 with an apparently rare, special-order threaded spindle nose, intended for use with Brown & Sharpe 'dead length' collets. So it's not impossible you might have something like that, but generally speaking, virtually every one I've seen has the A-series spindle.

Doc.

I have documentation for the 2A and 3A we run, plus some other W&S turret lathes. What exactly do you have including serial number?
If you like you can pm me the info (So I don't forget to come back here to look.) I will look to see if have an answer for you.

What type of chuck can you purchase on the market today that fits the spindle nose of this machine? And, what spindle nose is this?

W&S Tools booklet says the M2200 has 6" Type A1 American Standard spindle nose

Three jaw universal would be the most common

Back