What's new
What's new

Warner & Swasey Duplex Division Generator

mperu99

Plastic
Hello,
I am hoping someone, somewhere can help me. I purchased a very large generator or some may say a engine generator electric plant. It was built by Warner and Swasey Duplex Division, in Lansing Mich. What I need are some manuals on how to run, maintain and fix this thing, there are some peices missing inside the box. Someone somewhere has this information or knows where to get it.. This thing is huge, Red in color, built in the late 50's like around 1958 and it was put in service in 1960's and provided backup power for the Hutchinson, Kansas airport. I think mainly for the runway lights and the control tower. The engine was built by Continental Motors, it runs.. the Generator was built by EM (electric machinery co.) they are still in business and faxed me the inner workings of the generator and wire schems. I think the Gen. works. The entire unit was put together by Warner and Swasey. for the FAA in 1958 or so.
I do have many photos if someone thinks they have an idea, or knows someone, I can email these to you or something.

There were 250 some of these made and I have the 108th one made in 1958.

Some details are as follows:
120/208
KVA 37.5 KW 30
3 phase 60 Hz
Order number on the plate on front is 8-3425-1
serial is 30-615-59

It was made for the Department of Commerce civil aeronautics administration.

Please can someone somewhere help?

I have one of these huge red 'engine generator plants',too.
I have a direction book and all kinds of other stuff. My engine runs (propane)but when a load is applied, the governor does not adjust the RPM. I don't have it wired to my house yet. I have a person thinking about buying it and I am researching it on the net and found your question.
If I can be of help, I will try.
Please reply by email. Mine is contract number-FA-520; serial number 15-378-60. The FAA took delivery on 9/14/1960

continuation...18.75 kva; 120-240 volt; 60 cycle; 1 phase.
Mine provided backup power to a navigational aide in NJ.

Gooday,I have one of these red beasts and use it as backup power at my farm in New Jersey.I have all of the manuals and if you would like a copy of them email or call me at 732-266-4887.Tom

Gooday,I have one of these red beasts and use it as backup power at my farm in New Jersey.I have all of the manuals and if you would like a copy of them email or call me at 732-266-4887.Tom

I also have one of these and use it for backup power on our farm in Eastern Ohio. We used to milk cows but now have been raising White Park Beef cattle. We don't need the backup power so often now, but would really like to keep it available, especially with the news of the storms in Florida which will eventually come to Ohio.

It is a 25kva single phase. I have the electrical diagram but not the manual.

This unit actually starts and runs and provides power to our farm. The Continental engine is huge but runs well.

The only problem I have is that it needs 3 8 volt batteries, which are hard to find and expensive. They need to be replaced about every 5 years, which is about as often as we need to use it.

I'd like to change it to use 12 volt batteries which are a lot easier to purchase. It also has a spot for a crank on the front of the engine, but I don't have anything that could turn it over. Possibly I could start it with one of our diesel tractors, but there is no simple way to connect a pto.

Does anyone have any experience with these huge motor generators? I'd love to hear from you.

Kori in Eastern Ohio.

manual for generator

Hi my name is Misty. My father bought a big generator from Warner and Swazey from the duplex division and he has been looking foe a manual for quite a while. He saw your post and I wanted to see if you were still available to possibly be able to send me a copy of the manual. If so i would really appreciate. My email is [email protected]. Have a good day. Thank you

I also have one of these and use it for backup power on our farm in Eastern Ohio. We used to milk cows but now have been raising White Park Beef cattle. We don't need the backup power so often now, but would really like to keep it available, especially with the news of the storms in Florida which will eventually come to Ohio.

It is a 25kva single phase. I have the electrical diagram but not the manual.

This unit actually starts and runs and provides power to our farm. The Continental engine is huge but runs well.

The only problem I have is that it needs 3 8 volt batteries, which are hard to find and expensive. They need to be replaced about every 5 years, which is about as often as we need to use it.

I'd like to change it to use 12 volt batteries which are a lot easier to purchase. It also has a spot for a crank on the front of the engine, but I don't have anything that could turn it over. Possibly I could start it with one of our diesel tractors, but there is no simple way to connect a pto.

Does anyone have any experience with these huge motor generators? I'd love to hear from you.

Kori in Eastern Ohio.

You might look into changing the charging system to 12v along with any other low voltage engine type electrical. That 8v starter will have no problem on 12v. I've ran 6v starters on 12v successfully.

More than likely the starter is 24v,so IMHO you will need another starter for 12V ,if you change to 12v......a 12v alternator from a car parts shop is around $100,a 24 V alternator is typically twice that ,say $200...

Hello,
I am hoping someone, somewhere can help me. I purchased a very large generator or some may say a engine generator electric plant. It was built by Warner and Swasey Duplex Division, in Lansing Mich. What I need are some manuals on how to run, maintain and fix this thing, there are some peices missing inside the box. Someone somewhere has this information or knows where to get it.. This thing is huge, Red in color, built in the late 50's like around 1958 and it was put in service in 1960's and provided backup power for the Hutchinson, Kansas airport. I think mainly for the runway lights and the control tower. The engine was built by Continental Motors, it runs.. the Generator was built by EM (electric machinery co.) they are still in business and faxed me the inner workings of the generator and wire schems. I think the Gen. works. The entire unit was put together by Warner and Swasey. for the FAA in 1958 or so.
I do have many photos if someone thinks they have an idea, or knows someone, I can email these to you or something.

120/208
KVA 37.5 KW 30
3 phase 60 Hz
serial is 30-615-59

Hi, I believe I can be of help as I am very familiar with these generators. if you still need help this post is quite old I realize that.

Hello,

120/208
KVA 37.5 KW 30
3 phase 60 Hz
serial is 30-615-59

Do yu still need help with your generator?

It will run just fine on 3 12 volt batteries. I maintain one at a gas station since 1998. I started out by having a custom made 32-volt battery but for the last 12 months I have been using 3 12 volt truck batteries and it all runs great on 36 volts. I mean the relays and the starter motor and everything. I converted it to 12-volt ignition a number of years ago and have to use a 12-volt starting and lighting battery with a battery charger. That was supposed to be temporary while I found a 36 to 12 volt converter.But haven't as yet.

Warner and swasey 37 KW red Generator

Tom, Hi I also have one of these "big red generators" a Warner and Swasey 37 KW and really do need a manual for it. I saw your post back in 2006 so it's been a long time but if the offer to copy the manuals is still there I would pay for you to copy them? My email is [email protected] my phone # is 435 632-6068 Peter

You might look into changing the charging system to 12v along with any other low voltage engine type electrical. That 8v starter will have no problem on 12v. I've ran 6v starters on 12v successfully.

Yes, I have experience with one of these Warner Swasey generators I have running 37.5 KW OHV one. Give me a call at 435 632-6068

3 x 8 volt batteries is 24 vac.

If connected in series then a pair of 8D batteries will be fine.

Many earlier heavy power engines as well as many large trucks back then and busses still use 24 volt engine starters.

Verify batteries are series and if so then do as above.

8 volt batteries still available for some golf carts maybe but not likely your engine is 8 volt anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I realize that I am replying to this post from 15 years ago now but yes I can help I know a great deal about these generators. Contact Peter Lawrence at [email protected] or cell 435 632-6068

OK tom, Please call me if you see this Peter Lawrence 435-632-6068

I just got a big red WS generaator 37 kw

Happy to see there is some fairly recent posts ref the WS Duplex generator. I just got one...and need information .. It looks to be in good shape, I just ordered the Agkits manual for the 602cid Contintal engine powering it. Its late tonight but tomorrow I will try to call Peter Lawrence who posted here in 2020. Anyone that might be able please email or post or msg me
Thanks much !

David Lawrence
Piqua Ohio

PS I also have two # 3's one of which i run..... from time to time

Yes, I have experience with one of these Warner Swasey generators I have running 37.5 KW OHV one. Give me a call at 435 632-6068
I have access to one on this red behemoths. However, it is set to run on propane. For the generator to work for my application, I need to be able to switch it to natural gas. So my questions are:
Is the possible?
How do I convert this from Lp to natura gas?

Natural gas is mostly methane ,with a BP of something like -79dec C .......where as the BP of LP is a bit below room temp .......so obviously you wont need a vaporizer ,just the correct pressure reduction system.............however ,realize the gas is heavier than air ,and may pool in places ...leading to an explosion .....so IMHO ,experiments are best done out of doors..................I must say ,a Continental R6602 does seem a bit of overkill for 37kva ........these engines are rated as 275hp in the army trucks.

Natural gas is mostly methane ,with a BP of something like -79dec C .......where as the BP of LP is a bit below room temp .......so obviously you wont need a vaporizer ,just the correct pressure reduction system.............however ,realize the gas is heavier than air ,and may pool in places ...leading to an explosion .....so IMHO ,experiments are best done out of doors..................I must say ,a Continental R6602 does seem a bit of overkill for 37kva ........these engines are rated as 275hp in the army trucks.
Thanks! This would be house outside. I didn’t look the motor over to see if the block had a different tag specifying horsepower, but that’s a lot of hp. The genset was used at the local municipal airport for back up power. I’m looking to repurpose the genset for my brewery. A few years back we lost power for a week. So that bumped up the priority on securing back up power source.
Where or how would I get the correct pressure reduction system?

Back