What's new
What's new

no-3 warner & swasey

summerville

Plastic
I don't know if this is the place to post this? This my first time posting something.

I am thinking about buying a #3 warner & Swasey. I am going to go look at it and was wondering what arethe big things that I might need to look at to tell what kind of condition it is in. The bad thing is it is not under power.

thank you

summerville,

I looked for three years to get a good #3. Don't just settle for some old lathe with a tarp on it in the corner of a shop. I bought one about a year ago that was still under power and I could run it through the speeds. Just don't jump wait until the right one comes up...gear

summerville:

If it is not loaded with tooling in good workable shape, and running fine, it is just scrap iron.

You also need to have a use in mind. These are definitely not handy dandy engine lathes.

If the unit isn't running, it probably won't. I repair this... stuff...as a matter of fact for 33 years..To properly analyze, have it running, buy a service book on ebay, and go to adjustments section, and read the ram slide center requirements,,, this will tell you how to check wear...Good Luck!...Tom

Thanks

Thanks you for all of your comments, they were really helpful. I have always been interested in turret lathes. It is hard to let them go when the are so much cheeper that other lathes. I think that I will save my money for one just a little nicer that I can put through the paces. Thanks again for the help.

Back