What's new
What's new

Warner & Swasey No 1 Electro cycle Turret lathe inforomation request

RF

Cast Iron
What exactly are the Electro cycle lathes? I see a couple listed on eBay and can't really find any info on them. I assume they are a semi- automatic turret lathe judging by the control box on top.

We had a #2, 3, 4, 5, 2A, 3A and 5 spindle auto bar machine and tons of literature but never saw anything on the Electro Cycle lathes.

If anyone could shed some light on them, it would be appreciated.

RF

Basically they were very simple hydraulic single clutch pack hi-production turret lathe. At least #3 were. They were 4 speeds, auto-reversing, and would run backwards if programmed too. They came with 5 sets of pulley combinations to change the 4 speed range as desired. Kind of way before there time as relays & micro-switches controlled all functions as turret indexed, talking 1952-59ish for originals.
A #1 is pretty small and not exactly like the larger ones were. The originals were NOT like standard lathes at all.
The originals were called ELECTRO-CYCLE.
The later 1's like 1 currently on ebay is a standard type lathe, based on 4300 series, maybe 2200 but have not personally seen any, multiple clutch packs etc. with an electric control panel with many micro switches that changed speeds as they index and also controlled auto-reverse feature. Basically a fore-runner of a nc or more recent cnc but on a standard turret lathe.

I have 12 #3's in production in my shop currently, several early 1's and several later 4360's with electro-cycle controls.

Back