What's new
What's new

Warner and Swasey No.2 Milling Machine ?

Of course, that's obviously a ram-type turret lathe, not a milling machine.

It's missing (at least not shown in the photos) a simple cross slide (no compound) with front and back tooling positions. This cross slide would have a very simple "apron" as it's not used for long turning or threading.

I'm honestly not sure what the machine wheel is below the headstock. The rest of that plumbing sitting in front is for bar feed, collet (un)locking, and possibly automatic chuck (un)locking.

Of course, that's obviously a ram-type turret lathe, not a milling machine.

It's missing (at least not shown in the photos) a simple cross slide (no compound) with front and back tooling positions. This cross slide would have a very simple "apron" as it's not used for long turning or threading.

I'm honestly not sure what the machine wheel is below the headstock. The rest of that plumbing sitting in front is for bar feed, collet (un)locking, and possibly automatic chuck (un)locking.

That handwheel is what WOULD move the saddle if it was there...which, as you pointed out, isn't.

Not the handiest way to run a turret lathe, but I did it for many months on one just like this one.

For the right job, it's actually a damned nice little turret lathe. I haven't run a W&S in a lot of years, but I do kinda miss it from time to time.

Mike

Nothing like the 2A that I ran for years. It was most fun to single point thread with the screw disengage and electric motor reverse activated by the "Hurst" shifter at the right of carriage. Speed shifting up with the pre select was also a fond memory.
My favorite lathe of any to operate.

Nothing like the 2A that I ran for years. It was most fun to single point thread with the screw disengage and electric motor reverse activated by the "Hurst" shifter at the right of carriage. Speed shifting up with the pre select was also a fond memory.
My favorite lathe of any to operate.

Yeah...worked at a place that had 7 W&S's...from a #1 up to a 2A...the 2A that I ran did not have threading, tho.

I love my VMC's that I'm running now, but there are times that I think I'd like to try my hand on an old turret again....just for the hell of it.

Back