Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Warner & Swasey no. 4 tell me more about it

Finally bought my first lathe. I have only used a lathe a few times in school and have always wanted to accrue the metal working equipment to someday start a machine shop and do that as a part time retirement gig or full time if it takes odd before I retire (have a few years -or decades to decide). I love working with my hands and tools. Worked plenty on tractors and cars and always needed to find someone for the machining when it came to that part. Enough on the back story.

Found at a welding shop that it was accumulating dust and other then turn the on button they didn't really know how to run it. Is there any manuals, list of tools, ect out there? Looks like it has a lot of capabilities and it was too cheap to pass.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2. Likes lalatheman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Might find something useful here from thirties / early forties

Warner & Swasey Co. - Publication Reprints | VintageMachinery.org

The tooling is in their book TOOLS which would be in places like used book stores or Ebay

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That looks like a nice machine , its much like my older No. 3 you have a very nice increase in spindle bore over mine.Book says u have 2 and 7/16 mine is
    1 27/32 both taken with collet pusher tube out.

They both use 1.5 " hex turret tool shanks. DO your carriage feeds all work? Mine has a threaded spindle nose cant tell what you have the A type is desirable but if this machine runs...... My other No. 3 a newer squair head takes a big...big VFD , that I can connect but rather keep tied to another machine. Right now i run my round head No 3 ( like you have...round that is ) on a 3 hp motor its underpowered and slows down on medium heavy cuts. Love thes big dia dials....the way it cuts off...how easy it is to hold a diameter

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bust out your magnifying glass and check out this great drawing from "Tools".20191126_223920.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have a W&S 3A and 2 and they great for hogging of material exctra. Nice lathes but they need to be cared for, keep it cleaned and well lubed (don't as how I now). Also very versatile best of luck with it, Garr machine is your best source for parts.