What's new
What's new

Warner & Swasey no. 4 tell me more about it

coalminer16

Plastic
Finally bought my first lathe. I have only used a lathe a few times in school and have always wanted to accrue the metal working equipment to someday start a machine shop and do that as a part time retirement gig or full time if it takes odd before I retire (have a few years -or decades to decide). I love working with my hands and tools. Worked plenty on tractors and cars and always needed to find someone for the machining when it came to that part. Enough on the back story.

Found at a welding shop that it was accumulating dust and other then turn the on button they didn't really know how to run it. Is there any manuals, list of tools, ect out there? Looks like it has a lot of capabilities and it was too cheap to pass.
01d117ac69ed1a8d716e51a5034f2bff.jpg
786ffda76b3672de62645a0991742019.jpg
961181e5f9c45681ba605a78e83f5953.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That looks like a nice machine , its much like my older No. 3 you have a very nice increase in spindle bore over mine.Book says u have 2 and 7/16 mine is
1 27/32 both taken with collet pusher tube out.

They both use 1.5 " hex turret tool shanks. DO your carriage feeds all work? Mine has a threaded spindle nose cant tell what you have the A type is desirable but if this machine runs...... My other No. 3 a newer squair head takes a big...big VFD , that I can connect but rather keep tied to another machine. Right now i run my round head No 3 ( like you have...round that is ) on a 3 hp motor its underpowered and slows down on medium heavy cuts. Love thes big dia dials....the way it cuts off...how easy it is to hold a diameter

Have a W&S 3A and 2 and they great for hogging of material exctra. Nice lathes but they need to be cared for, keep it cleaned and well lubed (don't as how I now). Also very versatile best of luck with it, Garr machine is your best source for parts.

Back