What's new
What's new

What to do with older Machine?

Dave in WV

Plastic
W&S 1-SC problem

Hello all, I have a unique problem with a NC machine that has a CNC conversion attached to it. First let me tell you my little shop no longer makes any parts, but I still have the building and lots of other machines I intend to keep and use more or less as a hobby shop.. the machine in question is a 1973 model Warner Swasey SC-1 chucker with a GE 7544 control and a Camstore BTR device, the machine still powers up and works fine, I have worked on this machine whenever there is a problem for over 20 years with the grateful assistance from a former W&S service tech located in Texas. Because I have made so many parts over the years and repaired and maintenance whatever is needed I have a slight attachment to this machine, plus I have a large pile of spare parts, drawings, books, tool holders, and chucks. But now for the bad part of the story. My brother wants it moved out!
Even thou this machine works fine for now, most shops want a newer faster more modern machine. The Iron on this machine is fine, even the control is fine, but a lot of techs don't want to work on old stuff like this. If I was to junk this machine I would probably get about $600.00 bucks out of it. But it would cost over $1000.00 dollars to load and haul it away about 40 miles to a scrapper, then I would need to drain all the oil and strip all the electronics out because scrappers want clean scrap. I really don't want to scrap it because I have kept it for so long. I would give it to someone if they wanted to use it for something.
Another idea I had was if I could find a collage or trade school with a electronics class and a mechanical engineering class that wanted a retrofit project, this might be a good idea, but schools would probably want a newer machine, because few people retrofit SC-1 machines, they want SC-2 or SC-3 machines. As I said it would be a shame to scrap a working heavy duty working machine, so what to do with it?

This is a very heavy duty machine that works well when I powered it up last, that was 06-14-2021 and it would be a shame to let this American machine get cut up... plus I like the looks of the Nixie tube display on the control.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
Dave.

This is a very heavy duty machine that works well when I powered it up last, that was 06-14-2021 and it would be a shame to let this American machine get cut up... plus I like the looks of the Nixie tube display on the control.

Holy timewarp batman- The last time you ran was TOMORROW? :eek:

How many parts will be usable on manual machines? tooling, chucks, collets etc etc.

W&S 1-SC problem
I feel sorry for you. Your brother is an idiot, but you can't choose your own family. You have a machine that is all paid for, doesn't take up much space, and makes good parts but he wants to go in the red to buy something new. For what ? No fucking Haas ever born can match an SC. He's a nitwit, and 7500 controls are very simple and can be repaired, unlike later stuff with all kinds of unobtanium ic's. Too bad it doesn't have an Acc 220, that'd be even better :)

It's a good machine. Keep it.

There are places that still repair these, like PMR.

contact them, and see if they have a customer wanting one.

Look up Surplusrecord.com and place a free ad for it. The ad goes out to all the machinery dealers around the country. One may know someone who still uses them. Good Luck....it's a shame to have to care for a machine. An old friend...hard to say good bye.

Hello all,

If you old guys want to see this old machine in action, or if you younger guys want to see what an old Warner Swasey machine looks like just click on the video link below.. i made this video a few years back..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUOIqJzqmJI

Thanks
Dave.

Neat! Does the tool turret run on a central spindle that slides in and out? Wasn't sure how that was being controlled.

I seem to be having a little trouble sending a PM to Dave in WV. This is a new account for me. Have only attempted to send two messages, but my account shows no outgoing email.

A little help?

Back