What's new
What's new

What is this Warner and Swasey 12” 4 jaw chuck worth

Brodytonelotti

Aluminum
C993712D-5F0A-41B6-B9A4-F263E0C94DBA.jpgWell I found this chuck at the scrappers and bought it and I will probably keep it but I was just curious what you all thought it was worth. It’s a 12” 4 jaw chuck with no back plate and it has a grease fitting at each jaw. I have cleaned it up some since I took the picture, it isn’t rusty. Now let’s see if I can remember how to attach a picture from my phone:skep:

Last edited:
BFD. My mug shows up in the bathroom mirror, too, just not on PM.

You used Photof***it. And they did exactly that.

I’ve used photo bucket on here before without issue. What do you suggest? As far as I know that is my only option if I use my phone. I can see it if I click on the box by the way.

I’ve used photo bucket on here before without issue. What do you suggest? As far as I know that is my only option if I use my phone. I can see it if I click on the box by the way.

It has been a MAJOR problem PM, wide (and elsewhere) ever since Photof***kit decided to stop sharing to anyone not paying their fee. "Broken" lots of useful legacy how-to threads.

What's wrong with your using PM's own image storage?

Edit, Advanced, Manage Attachments, Upload, select it on your "device", upload it, insert it, done and go make sure it looks OK.

I suggest that you use more than just your phone.

It can't doo everything.....

You want free advice ? Put some effort into your request.

It has been a MAJOR problem PM, wide (and elsewhere) ever since Photof***kit decided to stop sharing to anyone not paying their fee. "Broken" lots of useful legacy how-to threads.

What's wrong with your using PM's own image storage?

Edit, Advanced, Manage Attachments, Upload, select it on your "device", upload it, insert it, done and go make sure it looks OK.

I got it, thanks. I had read the threads about posting photos but never realized I could do it that way.

I suggest that you use more than just your phone.
No fear. It doesn't actually matter if it is (also) a phone.

So long as it can connect and log-in, it is treated like any other computing device with some form of storage - not necessarily even local TO that device.

EG: A member could connect from a phone and reach out to also-connected "cloud" storage to present a graphics file stored on some other continent for upload to PM as a foto.

The Photof***kit issue by contrast, was a commercial decision they took. "Suicidal" one if the lumpen pissedoff have any influence left. No one with their head up and out will ever use them again. Plenty of better options that don't require Boy Butter and ankle grabbing.

Nothing "technical" about that except for the bait and switch of the software barriers they put into place to cease sharing linked photos.

View attachment 218103Well I found this chuck at the scrappers and bought it and I will probably keep it but I was just curious what you all thought it was worth. It’s a 12” 4 jaw chuck with no back plate and it has a grease fitting at each jaw. I have cleaned it up some since I took the picture, it isn’t rusty. Now let’s see if I can remember how to attach a picture from my phone:skep:

ohh... kay.. now we can see it.

Two-piece jaws, stout as to width. W&S were bestial, power-wise, so it would have had to be. Flat-back, probably, so you can mount it - I'd say nothing under 16" swing.

Prices for comparable goods, new, are still "out there". You could start here:

http://www.worldwidechuck.com/Chuck_Sales/chuck_sales.htm

..and keep looking, of course.

I can't make out if it's a "Power scroll" chuck,
or a "Power drawbar" chuck.

W&S used both, usually made by "S-P chuck" also
in Cleveland.

Power drawbar is not very usefull, as the jaws only move
a small amount.

If you are serious about selling it, first, determine if it’s crapped out.( if there is any perceptible movement “up and down” on the jaws, ie, axial play, spindle axis. in excess of say .001? For a 12”? It’s loose, more than that, it’s crapped out)- if tight- Second,take it to Small tools inc they are in Ohio, I think in Euclid ? Let us now how you do. Or list it yourself, but you would have to get lucky to move it quickly never know tho.

It is still nice and tight and seems like it was hardly if ever used. Serrated jaws are in good shape also. Yes, it is manual, not power. It doesn’t have a back plate on it and it’s been a while since I had it turned over to see what back it has. I don’t really want to sell it, I will probably hold onto it for when I get the size lathe I want... and need. I was just curious what you guys thought it was worth in your eyes to see how good of a deal I got. The scrap/machinery dealer charged me $20 and I didn’t need it but for that price I couldn’t just not buy it:D

It is still nice and tight and seems like it was hardly if ever used. Serrated jaws are in good shape also. Yes, it is manual, not power. It doesn’t have a back plate on it and it’s been a while since I had it turned over to see what back it has. I don’t really want to sell it, I will probably hold onto it for when I get the size lathe I want... and need. I was just curious what you guys thought it was worth in your eyes to see how good of a deal I got. The scrap/machinery dealer charged me $20 and I didn’t need it but for that price I couldn’t just not buy it:D

Oh, well...

Probably wasn't anything worth watching on TV anyway...

Back