What's new
What's new

6' lathe

indychuck

Aluminum
Anyone have a 6' lathe they can turn a flag pole out of Ash for me?

The bottom of the flag pole will be approx 2" diameter and the top will be around 1.625".

I'll go over the detailed measurements once I find someone to commission for the small project.

Thank you,

Chuck

Does anyone know of anyone that has a wood lathe that can turn a 6' piece of hardwood?

Thank you,

Chuck

have you inquired on the woodworking forums? It isn't just the lathe needed, it's the skill to handle such a thin piece. Not at all trivial, will want to whip around like crazy

That's the trouble with us metal working types- something like that would best be done with a router head mounted on the saddle, not turned with a conventional turning tool or chisel. My pattern maker buddy has a patternmaker's lathe for sale that would do your job but. . . . . . it also comes with a 5' diameter faceplate.

Or just put it on a fairly clean bench up against a stop dog and get after it with a hand or power plane. Make it sort of round later with some aggressive sand paper / rasp

I have a lathe that could handle that length, but I would probably do it on my cnc router. PM me if interested. There is also a fellow member that is likely closer to you as he is in Indiana as well, name on here is inwoodcutter aka Dan. He and his brother have a business doing both metal and woodworking. I'd bet he could do the job for you.

Jason

Hey chuck, did you ever get that flagpole done? I have a lathe (or 7), that will handle that length easily. I do porch posts of 12' a couple times a year. I'm a woodturner as a profession, and a hobby metal guy. Get in touch if you still need some help! Keith

I could use a 6' length of angle iron and use that as a tool rest. It would be angled to produce the taper.
Taking light cuts would make it a easy job. A lot easier than turning a pool cue.

Back