8" Jointer Surfacing - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    downhill from Twain\'s study outside Elmira, NY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Too bad OP's machine is on the opposite coast.
    Since you figure it is un-usable as is, and by inference "nothing to lose"..........
    I'd be interested in strapping something like that down to the planer and having a go at it. The issue I've never resolved in my mind, is what to do with the steel lips? Plane them as well? or find & drill out the rivets, put some backers against the edges, plane the tables, and then grind the lips and re-install? That would be a lot of work; and some risk.

smt

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

With proper setup could you grind the lips and then plane the bed to the surfaces of the lips?
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Rogers View Post
    It wouldn’t make a bit of difference to me. Some woodworkers have a preference but I probably would live with the small with out a quibble. BTW do you plan on keeping all three? I couldn’t afford one now , just retired and getting stabilized, but other needy people...
    Joe
    I am not sure if I will keep any. I am going to mount one to my bench, and my father is mounting one to his bench. If he or I don't find it useful, I will sell. If I like it, I will keep one. I can't see needing 2, but want to confirm before I sell. I bought the three for 80, and am far too cheap to pay what they go for on Ebay. I am guessing this is a once in a lifetime buy. I will not be hording them though.
    Joe

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Nebraska
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From my start in the early 70's until now, I've bought/sold and used a lot of equipment. Rockwell/Delta was never very good. My first jointer was a 6" PM, green castings warped like crazy. Bought a used 8" PM that stayed straight and the extra size helped a lot, pretty good machine. I now have an old Crescent 16". Pretty good machine but a bear to setup with 8 wedges to adjust. Mostly used to face bad boards as opposed to edging, since that is all done on a SL rip saw.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My last 2 jointer restorations both needed to be reground. They were both trainwrecks when purchased by me, with a lot of deep pitting. Both Yates American #1's. First is a 24" jointer, and the 2nd is a 16" jointer. Pictures to follow of the Mattison grinder doing the work. Both cost me $200 each for the complete work, including the fence on the 24"er.

mattison36x120.jpg

finished2.jpg

imag0527_zps6a022981.jpg

20160225_141510_zpsgcgzmzgz.jpg

All the grinding work was done in Rockford, Illinois. I still use Dave, as he is awesome at what he does.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by beckerkumm View Post
    I agree that the old PM were good for a light duty jointer. Oliver and northfield both made 8" machines that were a solid step up but the better deal is in the 12" size. Believe it or not, most of the guys who want old industrial jointers want 16-24" so 12" can be found. Oliver 166, American, Yates, Clement, Fay and Egan, Newman, and my favorite, the Porter 300cm, are the really great jointers. Fine grain cast iron, planed to within a couple thou and often still close to that. 5" cutterheads give a better cut and the mass of the machine and head, take out the vibration. Dave

PS: A wedgebed three toed jointer was the pick of the design litter but the tables bolted to the wedge. Your Delta, like almost all jointers that are not parallelogram cast the top part of the wedge with the table. Cheap idea but bad in real life. If the tables droop or are concave, you need to shim the wedges which is a pain and doesn't work all that well. The old jointers could shim the table to correct any problem with the wedges.
    Beckerkumm, the Porter has always been my favorite, too. That adjustable tilting cutterhead, in combination with the sensible location of patternmaking table tilt in the infeed, not outfeed end is nearly the culmination of design evolution. Now, if only they had the cored boxed tables of Northfield machines, I couldn't ask for anything else, helical heads notwithstanding!

Lee Haelters