What's new
What's new

Air dried wood demand?

henrya

Titanium
I have a good bit of air dried wood that I don't need. Its from my little hobby chainsaw mill operation. Its all flitch cut with live edges. 6/4 to 12/4 thick, mostly 9ish feet long, some shorter. White oak, poplar, cherry, swamp maple, sycamore, some spalty short silver maple. Lots of live edge table material.

Is there any demand for this material? I need to clear out the space and I have way more than I can ever use. BTW, I'm in Tennessee.

I know there is plenty of demand from those who make tables and such from it. Perhaps join a few woodworking forums and mention it with more detail. If it is good quality I suspect there will be interest.

I'd be a happy buyer if you were nearer.
Would love to have more QS sycamore, for instance. Options of heavy blanks like that for use as is or for re-sawing are attractive, too. Dry AD resaws better without the stress and bowing of KD.

That said, there are considerations of basic quality, and of how the AD material is/was cared for. Painted ends, AD under tin for a year or 2 kept well off the ground and cleared of wind-blown build up. Then racked dry storage indoors since where the MC stabilized under 10% would be excellent. Less so racked in a pile out doors with a tarp on top that gradually leaked, and never re-racked or brought inside as dead leaves & fungus builds up would be less so. :)

Also, some wood like maple goes to worms very fast outside especially if non de-barked.

smt

I would list my exact city if I was trying to sell or trade something someone is going to most likely want to buy in person and haul themselves.

Thanks all for the thoughts.

Its all been under hard cover, properly stickered, and re-racked at least once. Outside conditions are high and relatively dry with airflow - up on a ridge. Ends were Anchorsealed when the trees were cut. Youngest is 2 years, oldest is 8 years.
I was really looking for ideas of how to sell, but if it fits within the forum guidelines we can talk more about actual sales. I am near Nashville.

Woodweb has a lumber exchange geared more towards professionals, but I've seen a range of listings from container loads to specialty lumber sold by the b/f and live edge slabs similar to what you've got.

Lumber For Sale - Listing Index

For local hobbyists and possibly better pricing see if there's a furniture/woodworking guild in Nashville. I would also search for local handmade furniture companies and contact them.

Back