What's new
What's new

antique table saw id and value help needed

Bigtrucklover

Plastic
I recently met a nice gentleman who had these nice belt driven table and band saws in his barn.
The band saw is a Crescent Machine Co. with a 1905 patent date, but the table saw is a mystery. The only tag on the table saw I found was from the dealer that sold it.
Does anyone have a guesstimate on value for each if I make him an offer? I've been wanting to find saws of this age for a while to add to my shop.
Apparently they originally came out of a line shaft shop that built beehive boxes, but haven't been used in decades.
They'll need to be completely disassembled and cleaned at the very least before they ever see more use due to rust and dirt from sitting, and I wouldn't doubt some babbitt work.
Sorry for the poor pictures,it was dark and there wasn't much room to walk around.

Thanks,
Jay
tablesaw.jpgbandsaw.jpg

I have the same bandsaw in my shop assuming that is the 36". Its a good saw, I worked in the shop I bought it from and it was turned on in the morning and was turned off at lunch and the end of the day. I have used it lots since it often runs 2-3hrs straight.

I think I paid $350 for it 15 years ago. It was in good working condition with a motor and guarding. All I have done to it is replace guides. It's way too big for most home shops and the market for big saws in smaller shops is not large. A big shop is not going to buy a project saw. .

If the table saw needs much if any work it is worth scrap value especially if the table tips rather than the arbour. Even though it was a secondary machine for me it was one of the only woodworking machines I bought new when I started my shop.

Very hard to tell for sure, but the table saw has a strong resemblance to an Oliver saw, based on the perceived color and the boxy construction.

I would ask the owner what he wants for the two machines. If he wants more than $500, walk away. If he wants less than $500, tell him you will offer $550 for both. If you make a deal, make sure that you don't leave any parts or accessories hidden in the dust.

I once owned an Oliver No 90 and an Oliver No 60 table saw. The 60 looked similar but not exactly like that. I don’t think it’s Oliver. Both saws had all sorts of rules and arcs etc engraved on the table surface for cutting octagons or whatever. Really incredibly beautiful. Sadly both saws, and that one in the OPs post, are tilting table saws. Value is zilch. Scrap prices being what they are I’d walk away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both the table saw and the band saw will need work with out a line shaft. And a line shaft takes lots of room. As well is noisey.

Just to the right of the table saw is a swage block... it could have the greatest value of stuff in the pictures.

Also take a look at what might be a drill press to the left of the table saw.

Back