What's new
What's new

Is anyone using the Grass Euro hinges?

Trboatworks

Diamond
I am looking into hinges and wondering about which brand is popular.
Blum vs Grass?

Chevy vs Ford comparison or is there a substantial difference between these two?

Thanks

In my opinion, they're virtually identical. In both ranges, be careful what you order however ----- typically, unless you're Ikea or a tract-home developer, you want the models that allow adjustment in all three axes --- however, I think both companies offer models that delete certain adjustments, as well as models that have those adjustments, but require loosening of the mounting screws to adjust. The top models have (3) adjuster screws (cam/jack) that let you dial in door alignment.

Grass (i think...) is more likely to have cast parts, while all the Blums are stamped to my memory. The cast ones look a little nicer, but honestly, all the euro hinges are hideous. They also offer different style door attachments -- while each has the 32mm cup, some have expansion dowels to secure the door panel, and some other production-level trickery. For custom work, I think the basic #8 countersunk screw flange is the best.

Last advice, and most important if you don't already know ---- DONT USE A PHILLIPS! All these hinges have Posi-Drive screw heads, and once you learn that your hinge life will improve dramatically! Sure, they look virtually identical, but its shocking to witness the torque / cam-out difference.

Ok- thanks.
The reason I ask is I am setting up for hinges (see other thread), and a I can pick up a Grass hinge boring machine with line drilling head for a good price.
It locks me into the Grass hinges if I want press in though.

We always used just a drill press / guides / fence etc. ------- but I am 99.9% certain that hinge cup / offset / case-side hinge anchor points / etc. are all cross-compatible across Euro hinges.

I like Blum, but that's mainly because the local service is head and shoulders above the others (Grass, Hettich etc) Yes I beleive the drilling patterns are standard.

Blum all the way. We used so many the machine was free. Not only free, but swapped out periodically if a newer model came out. I had tons of problems with Grass, some related to pozidrive too. Got fed up with them and rep noticed the drop in orders. Asked for a meeting. Sure, 9:00 tomorrow. At 9:05 the next day I saw him enter my lot as I drove away. Where is he, we had a 9:00 meeting! Employee looked at watch, it is 9:05 and you are late.
Yeah, he never came back.

Blum all the way. We used so many the machine was free. Not only free, but swapped out periodically if a newer model came out. I had tons of problems with Grass, some related to pozidrive too. Got fed up with them and rep noticed the drop in orders. Asked for a meeting. Sure, 9:00 tomorrow. At 9:05 the next day I saw him enter my lot as I drove away. Where is he, we had a 9:00 meeting! Employee looked at watch, it is 9:05 and you are late.
Yeah, he never came back.

A 5 minute time difference can accumulate by a few traffic lights. He never came back most likely because "Who needs this?".

A 5 minute time difference can accumulate by a few traffic lights. He never came back most likely because "Who needs this?".

I did not want the meeting, he wanted it. Grass was already toast and he was just trying to plug a hole in a sinking boat. And nearest traffic light is not in my town, or next town. I was fed up with call backs and switched to Blum. No call backs. Pure and simple, Grass did not have their act together back then. Blum was all over me and their hardware had very few problems. We tried a few items from Mepla. Nothing special.

Back