What's new
What's new

Before I give up... does 1/4" to 3/8" plywood or MDF exist in 10 foot lengths ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Before I give up... does 1/4" to 3/8" plywood or MDF exist in 10 foot lengths ?

....at prices that are not way more per square foot than comparable 8 foot lengths ? In other words I can buy perfectly nice 1/4" 4 x 8 sheets at Lowes for $19 a sheet, but 1/4" 5 x 10 sheets of marine plywood are $129 a sheet ! That's $2.58 sq ft vs 59 cents sq ft. Which might be worth it if I was building a boat, but only interested in marine ply as it is available in 10 foot sheets...but it cost too much for this purpose.

FWIW, 3/8 is the absolute limit on thickness for this project. Need enough to cover 1,000 sq ft of walls to start...more later. Needs to be plywood or MDF.. no sheetrock or hardieplank...

The traditional way to resolve this issue is scarfing. The typical acceptable scarf length is 8 to 1 or better. The best way to do this is to weld up a jig and use a hand planer. For the volume you're talking about the jig will pay for itself in short order. marine ply is more expensive because of the hard wood outer ply(s), less voids and the use of waterproof glue.

I've used this stuff: Thomes Canada - Film Face Plywood for non forming applications and it's nice stuff, though I didn't buy it so don't know the cost. They seem to make it in the right size and thickness though.

Hey Milacron, enquiring minds want to know, why 10'? Is it aesthetics or do you have Whitworth stud spacing or something?

Since you didn't negate OSB:

As the housing market continues its slow recovery, the investment in our Clarendon County facility makes us well-positioned to grow with our customers. The new facility will produce Georgia-Pacific’s OSB products including BlueRibbon® rated sheathing and sub-floor, Thermostat® OSB radiant barrier sheathing, and DryGuard® enhanced OSB sub-floor, plus larger panels used in specialty applications.

Clarendon South Carolina

Plytanium plywood comes in 3/8", made in Prosperity SC, but not sure if ten foot can be done (brand new plant, however).

You can get any plywood in any size, if you can make it worth the mills trouble - like maybe a carload (railroad, not SUV...) of plywood or so. Check with lumber leftover dealers, RV surplus dealers, and boat yards - they may have some large sizes left over. Also, check with people who make signs or billboards. Ask if they have any idea who might have the sizes you need - since they are in the business, they should be able to offer you some ideas to follow.

Be prepared for sticker shock if you only need a sheet or two....

Milacron,
We have 5'x10'x9MM thick Russian Birch. How much do you need? $59 a sheet. We are an importer.
At 50 sq ft per sheet, 20 sheets to start, more later....or maybe more now if you will run out and not get more later. 9mm thickness is perfect. How many ply's in each sheet ?
Milacron

7 ply my friend. Also we have 4'x8' and 5'x5'.
7 ply is good.... is it pre primed (ok if not, just curious...local Lowes sells 3/8" 4 x 8 for $32 each that is 7 ply and pre primed...real light coat, you can still see the grain) Have you got 20 sheets in stock ? And if so, you think you will have 20 more sheets a couple months from now ?

7 ply is good.... is it pre primed (ok if not, just curious...local Lowes sells 3/8" 4 x 8 for $32 each that is 7 ply and pre primed...real light coat, you can still see the grain)

We are the proud new owners of the largest UV finish line in North America. Any finish any color you want. ;) Sorry about the price.....cant beat Lowes but our product is in a bit different category.

Hey Milacron, enquiring minds want to know, why 10'? Is it aesthetics or do you have Whitworth stud spacing or something?
Yeah, Whitworth spacing...LOL... existing rough plywood walls in metal building are 10 feet tall....need covering and paint, but don't want to use sheetrock. If using plywood or MDF, each sheet would be ripped into 24" widths and beveled along each edge. (or 20" widths if using 5' wide sheets...of course they would be slightly less than that due to blade kerf)

Milacron

Yeah, Whitworth spacing...LOL... existing rough plywood walls in metal building are 10 feet tall....need covering and paint, but don't want to use sheetrock. If using plywood or MDF, each sheet would be ripped into 24" widths and beveled along each edge. (or 20" widths if using 5' wide sheets...of course they would be slightly less than that due to blade kerf)

Milacron

Sounds like you should send me some dwgs.....I make quick work of that kinda stuff.:Dphoto 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpg

Sounds like you should send me some dwgs.....I make quick work of that kinda stuff.:D
Northwood must love you guys ! Impressive routers. :drool5:

So, you could run three "V's" and two bevels down a 5 x 8 sheet and I wouldn't have to rip them. Only trouble there is I think I would like them ripped as trying to position 5 x 10 sheets might be a hard row to hoe (weight and size)

Back