What's new
What's new

Belsaw Planer cutterhead removal?

indychuck

Aluminum
Has anyone removed the cutterhead from a 12" Foley Belsaw or a similar design?

I've taken it as far as I'm comfortable with at this point. I'm putting a little more force than I think is necessary with my gear pullers, as I grab the casting. I'm backing off at this point, in fear of damaging/cracking the castings.

It appears a collar or something needs to rotate inside the bearing's casting chamber, but I'm at a loss. Neither end wants to pull off the shaft. The shaft doesn't appear to be in that bad of shape from a rust or seized up standpoint.

Any suggestions will likely be very helpful.

ch1.jpg

ch3.jpg

ch2.jpg

That's a simple eccentric lock cartridge assembly, and your fears of busting that casting by pulling on it are valid. You've popped the eccentric lock off and now the cartridge bearings is fretted/seized to the shaft. A bearing puller is the proper tool, but you need use that in conjunction with a bearing separator that is installed so it's contacting the inner face of the bearing assembly and NOT the casting.

If you don't have the appropriate bearing separator then you'll have to build some type of split plate so you can apply pulling force on the inner bearing assembly and not on the casting. You have to get creative.

Another approach is to knock the bearing assembly IN using the appropriate bearing driver, just so you could break the bond the bearing has on the shaft. If you can break the bond, polish the shaft a bit and apply some lube the thing will probably slide off quite easily.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, due to not having those tools and their likely not rentable from a standard tool rental place, would I have better luck with commissioning a machine shop or an electric motor shop or some other trade that I’m not aware of?

Thank you,

Chuck

You might try some Kroil and some heat. A lot of times the kroil will creep into the bearing/shat area and allow the bearing to be pulled off, after heating the bearing. The bearing could also be cut off but you would need a torch, grinder etc. to do so. A good machine shop should be able to press it off as you said if all else fails. Good luck with your project. There are some other ways to utilize different heads if you are interested.

Thanks Stuart, due to not having those tools and their likely not rentable from a standard tool rental place, would I have better luck with commissioning a machine shop or an electric motor shop or some other trade that I’m not aware of?

Thank you,

Chuck

Chuck,

A motor shop would have all the tools and knowledge to get that job done quickly and without damage to the castings.

If you have some pipe laying around that will slip over the end of the shaft, smacking it inward as I mentioned will most likely break it loose and allow you to disassemble it...otherwise, the motor shop would be the best choice in my opinion.

Stuart

Chuck,

A motor shop would have all the tools and knowledge to get that job done quickly and without damage to the castings.

If you have some pipe laying around that will slip over the end of the shaft, smacking it inward as I mentioned will most likely break it loose and allow you to disassemble it...otherwise, the motor shop would be the best choice in my opinion.

Stuart

The new bearings are in place, but they're slightly different in terms of them having this raised sphere on the outside of the bearing wall (pictures will illustrate this). The previous bearings did not have this, the previous bearings allowed me to make a complete 1/4 turn as I removed or installed them from the casting.

As I push the new bearings into the casting, I'm only able to turn them within that opening of the casting that is in the 3:00 and the 9:00 position (because of that raised sphere).

I'm not able to give them a nice 1/4 turn as I did with the previous bearing style.

I'm restricted on how far I can rotate the bearing inside their housing due to that raised sphere.

Is this a problem?

brng1.jpg

brng2.jpg

Back